Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Favorite Tear-Away? I need more! >

Your Favorite Tear-Away? I need more!

Your Favorite Tear-Away? I need more!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 AM

Default Your Favorite Tear-Away? I need more!

For blanket stitching appliqué I have only used the Inspira Tear Away that I got from a LQS for my embroidery machine... but my supply is running low and it is time to buy more as I have three different quilts that I need to appliqué right now!

So.. what is your favorite? And I just came across this new product called Quilter's Select that seems interesting. It is a one-sided temporary fusible (maybe like freezer paper?) that tears away. That is appealing since I normally spray baste or pin my stabilizer when doing applique.

And while I have you... I have always picked the little remnants of the tear away out of the stitching. Do you bother with this?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:04 PM

I have used Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff. It sews nicely and tears easily. However, for the most part, I use the waxed freezer paper as stabilizer. And, no, I don't bother with the little remnants left.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:47 PM

I use common tissue paper that you use when wrapping gifts. It was the way I learned to do it years ago and it has always worked for my applique. I usually use a satin stitch. I either pin the paper or dab a bit of glue stick to hold it in place. I suppose other stabilizers give great results but since this always works for me it is the only method I've tried. It tears away super easy and I don't worry about the few very tiny remnants...they wash away. Plus it costs practically nothing...a pack from the Dollar Tree lasts a long time!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

For blanket stitching, I have never used any tear away.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I don't use stabilizers for machine applique. Instead, I heavily starch the background fabric (1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water). This stabilizes the background fabric sufficiently so I don't need any other stabilizer. I have used this successfully with all types of stitches, including satin stitch. No tunneling or distortion.

I use a fast way to starch. After mixing up the Sta-Flo and water, I "paint" the solution onto yardage using a large wall painting brush until the fabric is saturated. I wait a couple of minutes to make sure the starch has had time to penetrate the fibers, then toss in my dryer. Ironing with steam re-activates the starch so I have a very stable fabric to work with.

Starch washes out completely, so there is no paper to fiddle with.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
I have used Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff.
The nice thing about that product is that you don't need to tear it out.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Why use an embroidery machine to blanket stitch? Does your regular sewing machine not have that stitch? Anyway, for embroidery with the embroidery machine I've always ( past 12 years anyway) used Sulky brand stabilizers. Tear away, fusible, wash away, all of them.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM

I have recently looked up stabilizers and have tired wax paper to do my stitching through but I really didn't like how it did because the stitches were stable to me.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:19 PM

I purchased Ricky Tims Stable Stuff on his website recently-it was half the price of Amazon! Love it! It is not as stiff as the stabilizer I have been using, and there is no need to tear all the bits away. I blanket stitch applique with my sewing machine, and I prefer the crisp stitches that I get when using a stabilizer.