Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your suggestions for backing this R&W sampler? >

Your suggestions for backing this R&W sampler?

Your suggestions for backing this R&W sampler?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
As a LAQ I always opt for the backing that would show off the quilting. So my vote is for the solid. I am wondering if you couldn't use one of the other two to do an additional border? Either of them would look fantastic.
Yes, I thought of that...using the stripe for instance, or even making a piano key border out of all the fabrics I used in the quilt; I have enough, I think. It's just that I'm sick of this thing! But maybe if I put it aside for awhile and came back to it, I'd be more willing to add another border. It's a good idea, thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
It's a beautiful quilt! I REALLY like the idea of the red/white floral, on the back . . . and would look around for something similar and available.
Thanks! I like the idea of that particular floral and if I could/can find it, I think it would probably be my choice.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think it would depend on how you are going to quilt it, machine or hand? If quilting by hand, a solid
piece of fabric for the back is easier to quilt through. If you are going to machine quilt, how about making a giant Log Cabin block for the back? That way you can use up all the leftovers and have a reversible quilt. I think your Red and White Sampler is beautiful!
What a great idea! I'll think about that. I will not handquilt this myself and especially would not if I used a solid back; my quilting is not that good. I'll probably have it quilted and if I used a solid the quilter could do patterns on the solid that would show and look good, I think.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
About the backing, you've received lots of good ideas ... ITA that the quilting would help determine the backing. You mentioned the stripe isn't as good of quality, so I'd be hesitant. Another factor to consider is getting the quilt squared up with the stripe.

You said you'd like a wider border but don't want to take off what you have.
Why not just add more borders?
Or add a simple flange in the white, and a wider strip of the red?
Oh, I hadn't thought of squaring the quilt with the stripe. Thanks for that reminder! So, although I don't think it's out of square a lot, I think that eliminates the stripe. I might use it for binding, though.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks for all the responses and ideas! Much to ponder. I did buy more of the solid red today so that's a possibility. I'll let you know what I decide but not sure when I can show a photo of the finished product since I now have about five quilt tops and have yet to send one to a LAQ (there are many here in town, I know; I just haven't contacted anyone yet). I handquilted the first quilt I ever made and am in the process of handquilting another but I'm very sloooooooowwww. I'm yet too chicken to try quilting a large quilt on the machine, though I've done wall hangings and tabletoppers and mugrugs. Also, if I use a solid back for this quilt I'd like a pretty pattern, not just straight quilting.

Currently the top is about 67x81. Making it larger with additional borders would be good, I think.

Thanks again, everyone!

Marilyn
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Both fabrics are beautiful and would work but I vote for the stripe as my first choice.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM

I agree with feline fanatic-additional border of striped then bind -backing could be floral square and continue the motif in your quilting-I love the quilt already. If you don't want an additional border cut down on the red by quilting in white like feathers or something It will help it blend in a little better Best stitches.Can't wait to see your choices
Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 PM

I like QuiltE's idea of a narrow white flange (1/4"?) then more red border. I think that would be dynamite.

Also agree with most other posts ... if the quilting is going to be special (ie not an all over or just SITD) then use the solid red with white thread to show off the quilting on the back. If your just going to SITD or use an all over quilting - then I would opt for the floral print.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM

I LOVE your quilt... and I like the floral... if you don't have enough, how about using it on either side of a solid... whatever you decide, it's the back, and everyone will LOVE the front so much that the back is secondary. Great job!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM

Black!!! Oh, black, definitely, for the outer border. What a beautiful contrasting frame for your red and white gorgeous quilt. I'd choose solid black for sure.