Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2013 CRAZY QUILT BLOCK swap >

2013 CRAZY QUILT BLOCK swap

2013 CRAZY QUILT BLOCK swap

Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Default 2013 CRAZY QUILT BLOCK swap

Welcome to the 2013 CRAZY QUILT BLOCK swap!!

Block rules:

Your CQB’s are to be 8 1/2" unfinished, sewn onto muslin. You may use any colors or crazy quilt fabrics (except wool due to possible allergies). Remember - - this is an opportunity to play with fabrics other than cotton. Embellishing and additional embroidery stitching is optional. Each swapper is to make 6 blocks to be swapped. Please include $ $5.95 (or $5.60 - see below) for postage. Any packages without postage will not be swapped.

All skill levels are welcome to participate. Be sure to use a wonderful variety of fabrics. The more, the better! Please do your best work and make something that you would be glad to receive.

Make sure all blocks are labeled with your user name and real name (optional) and that they are, in fact, 8 ½” unfinished. Any blocks that are too small will be returned unswapped. Better to be too big than too small.

Signups are open until Saturday, August 17, 2013. Your CRAZY QUILT BLOCKS need to be completed and in the mail by Saturday, August 31st, 2013. Blocks received after that date will be returned to you unswapped. I will swap them out and get them back in the mail to you by the following week.

PM me to sign up:

Board Name
Real Name
Mailing address
Phone

Mailing and postage:

Please put your blocks in a gallon size ziploc bag for shipping and put your name and address on the outside of the bag. This will protect your hard work in case the postal carrier leaves a package outside. It will also get your package back to you in the event of a mailer malfunction.

In order to keep things simple and efficient, I will return all blocks using USPS flat rate containers.

If your blocks will all fit into a USPS flat rate envelope, remember to include [$5.95 (if you plan to return them using flat rate padded envelopes) or $5.60 (if you plan to use flat rate paper envelopes.)]

If you are swapping more blocks than will fit into the USPS FR Envelope, make sure to include enough postage to cover the cost of returning blocks using the most appropriate size USPS FR container. If I don’t receive sufficient postage, your package will live here until I receive it.

If you sign up, please follow through with commitment and deadline. If you need to drop out let me know ASAP!!! Failure to comply with the rules of this swap will result in a negative feedback posting and possible banning from future swaps.

In addition to the above, please follow all the basic rules, found here.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm

BASICS
- six 8 ½” crazy quilt blocks on muslin foundation
- Include $5.95 or 5.60 postage (see above)
- Mail BY SATURDAY, AUGUST 31ST.

Questions? Suggestions? Problems?

PM me any time
Mailing Deadline: August 31st.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 AM

What do you mean on Muslin foundation? I am not sure about that, and do you want the blocks embellished? I would think embellishing would be better after the block is sewn into the quilt, but I suppose you could include the embellishment in with the block. Is the limit 6 blocks, and do the 6 blocks have to be alike? how many sets of 6 can we send is there a limit??? sorry for all the questions, I have never swapped crazy blocks before and I am interested in maybe doing this swap.

Marybeth
Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM

Hi Marybeth - -

Crazy quilt blocks are typically pieced on a muslin foundation. Embellishinig is optional. For this swap, we're making 1 set of 6 crazy quilt blocks to swap. If there is more interest in the future, we might swap more sets. The very nature of crazy quilt blocks doesn't allow for them to be alike so each of your six blocks will be different. That's part of the fun!!

Hope you decide to join in all the fun!

Jane
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM
som

IAM in .just sent you a pm som
Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 AM

Thanks, Som. It's going to be loads of fun.

Jane
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 AM

It occured to me that maybe some back story might be in order. I attended Camp Watch-a-Patcher earlier this month (which is a biennial event) and one of their get-to-know-you mixers was called 'West Coast Prom dress swap'. The instructions were to bring a prom dress, wedding dress, mother of the bride dress, etc. (or a dress from a thrft shop) and add it to the pile. Everyone went from table to table and cut and sliced and ripped through all these dresses, grabbing all sorts of fabrics. You should have seen it! It was chaotic!! But it was so much fun too. So that's where I got this idea.

We're going to have fun!

Jane
Old 07-30-2013, 05:26 AM

I enjoyed making a crazy quilt for the May DQ swap and would love the excuse to make more. And I'm on summer break from school for the next two weeks so should be able to get done on time. will be sending a pm...
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 AM

I am in, sent my PM.

I do wish it was more than 1 set, will take many to make a small wall hanging. But it is what it is.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:20 AM

I have contacted PatriceJ (the decision-maker) about the possibility of adjusting the swap to sets of six instead of just one set of six. I'm waiting to hear from her. This is my first swap and am a real rookie at this. I don't want to screw anything up.

Will let everyone know as soon as I know!

So excited to have everyone!!

Jane
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 AM

You're doing an excellent job ! ! ! ! !

We were all ROOKIES at someting at sometimes in our lives ! ! ! !

To have more sets would be very nice . . . . GggggggOoooooooooo JC