April 2017 Mug Rug Swap ó the color Purple
We will celebrate the month of April with the color purple. Purple is the color of royalty, nobility, luxury, power & ambition, as well as wealth, extravagance, creativity, wisdom, dignity, devotion & peace. So how will you interpret this color?
What is a mug rug? A mug rug is an item you use to place a cup of coffee, tea or soda on, along with a small snack plate/napkin beside it. Itís approximately 9Ēx8Ē or larger so both items will fit. Please do not make it smaller than 9Ēx 8Ē (unless your partner tells you specifically that she wants a smaller size), as that is quite small for both items as it is!
1. You will be assigned a partner. This is not a secret pal swap. Each partner will contact the other partner for addresses. You are encouraged to talk to each other and find out little things about them so you can make a special gift just for them. Then think about this monthís theme ó the color purple. Think about what you want the color purple to represent in your mug rug. And how will you do this ó will you appliquť or paper-piece or just go with regular piecing? Will you make your mug rug rectangular, circular, square, hexagonal? How you choose to make your mug rug is up to you, but make it with love & pride!
2. The mug rug must be made with 100% quilterís cotton, with a nice cotton batting in between to protect furniture from possible damage due to heat/cold. Use a binding method you are comfortable with, or practice & learn a new binding technique! Also, the mug rug must be quilted. Remember, this is a gift you are making for someone. Be proud of your work & do your best. And be kind about what you receive. If you have any issues, please work it out with your partner first, before contacting me; communication is key. This board is for all of us to make friends & have fun.
3. For this monthís swap, you must send your name, address, e-mail address and phone number to jaba by March 31st. Jaba will be covering for ctyankee, who will be away during this period of time. Deadline to send out swaps is April 20th & donít forget to send ctyankee notice, with tracking number, that you have sent to your partner. Any delays in mailing must be shared with ctyankee, who will be back in the game, prior to the deadline of April 20th. I want everyone to receive a partnerís trade. We should not have to request angels. Again, communication is important. You can be forgiven if something comes up & you notify your partner & me prior to the deadline. But if you donít communicate & donít send out a mug rug to your partner, you will be locked out of swapping with this group and negative feedback will insure other swap groups know you didn't send. Also, if your partner has not sent to you by the deadline & you have not heard from her, please let me know. Iím pretty easy-going about things, but there is rarely a good reason for non-communication. If your partner has not communicated with you at all, let me know Ďway before the deadline so we can possibly avoid a problem later.
4. Also, please let me know if you can mail internationally! This is important, as we have quite a few international swappers who want to join us, & I donít want anybody to be left out. So if you can ship internationally ó even just one time ó that would make it more fun for our overseas & Canadian swappers!
5. You are free to include little gifties with your mug rug, handmade or store-bought; itís up to you. Itís been discussed on a previous swap that if you talk with your partner, maybe you can agree on an extra item each ó like a FQ. That would be between you & your partner. But you are only obligated to send a mug rug. Nothing else is required in this swap.
6. Any questions? Contact jaba immediately and she will help get you started.
7. Please take a photo before you ship your package to your partner, just in case she cannot post a photo. We all love to see photos! But donít post it until you know your partner has received your package & that she is unable to post a photo herself.
8. Be sure to label the outside of the package with the name of the swap & your swap name. Many people sign up for more than one swap & it can be confusing to the recipient in trying to figure out which swap it came from.
9. And most of all ó just have fun!
SIGN UP TODAY! Send jaba a PM with your name, address, e-mail address & phone number for emergency use only. If you have a preference of what you receive, just communicate that with your partner. Names will be given out on April 1st, the latest. You are required by the board to send things you sign up for, or risk not having the ability to swap again in other swaps. Again, per board rules, anything about your partner or the item they send to you that does not please you is not to be posted on the board but sent in a PM to me, ctyankee, or to your partner to sort out. Itís polite and itís the right thing to do.