Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group >

Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group

Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group

Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM

Good morning ladies! I just want to check in with you all now that the Jade folks have received their blocks and tell you I can finally focus on this group. You've got all my attention!

I see some wonderful blocks here! Thank you for your efforts so far. Just a few reminders as it's been a while since we started and most of you still have blocks to stitch. Blocks MUST measure 12 1/2 inches; please double check that all of those you've stitched are the right size. Watch that your seam allowances are 1/4 inch and that you have enough stitches per inch to hold the block together. Also, please be sure you are following any color requests that came with the F8s. I understand artistic license and all that but if someone requests "bright colors only" for instance, please don't use pastels or black...you get the idea. Fulfilling the fabric owner's request is a kindness. Blocks that don't meet the criteria might end up on some unused and unloved pile. And please don't forget to feature each person's fabric! While you may keep the leftover fabric (unless the owner specifically requested it be returned), please be sure it is prominently displayed in each block.

OK, that's enough admin for now. Please keep posting pix of the blocks you make so we all can enjoy them. If anyone has any comments or questions, don't hesitate to post or email me at [email protected]. Any problems should be reported to me privately. Whatever the reason you contact me, I'll try to respond promptly!

Happy stitching!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 PM

I'M FINISHED!!!! WHOOO HOOO!!!

Here are my final blocks:

Difergie - 'Flying Geese playing Checkers'
Joanelizabay - 'Arrowhead'
Nelco - Santa Fe Star from 100 quilt blocks

Jane
Attached Thumbnails boom-13-bifergie.jpg   boom-13-joanelizabay.jpg   boom-13-nelco.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:53 PM

Nice blocks Jane and perfect use of "their" fabric. Love it when it is used as the real focus of the block!!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 AM

Default Very important - please read

Me again. It's a quiet Sunday morning and I've been scrolling through all the pix again. Just love having the time to do that!

Ladies, I'm going to ask you all to do me (and yourself) a favor - those of you who haven't shipped me your blocks yet that is - PLEASE pull out the ALL the blocks you've already made and check them for size. They MUST measure 12 1/2 inches square. It's unfortunate, but I'm getting feedback from some of my Jade swappers that on average 25 percent of the blocks they've received are too small, some as much as one-half an inch! It's possible to use a block that's a 1/8 of an inch off, but half an inch is not usable without adding a border or reconfiguring the block. And swappers, I mean when you measure, don't rely on your cutting mats for precise measurements, use an acrylic square of at least 12 1/2 inches. They are much more accurate. If you don't have one, buy one or borrow one. I'm sure this is just an oversight, but it's not an oversight that I can permit. I know we are all varying skill levels here, but you've just got to make them the right size to be usable. It's my experience that as long as the blocks are well constructed and the right size, the vast majority of swappers will be satisfied. Points and such take a back seat to construction.

So, go check those blocks! If they are the wrong size and can be fixed, please do so. The goal is 12 1/2 inches by 12 1/2 inches, nothing smaller, nothing bigger, will do! If they are the wrong size, and you don't feel you can fix them, contact me privately ([email protected] or pm) with the details and we'll figure something out. I want to work with you, not call anyone out for "bad" blocks

Ladies, I'm serious! I'd like to hear from EVERYONE that they've measured and the outcome. I will also follow this up with an email to everyone later today. Let's fix the problem, if there is one in this group, BEFORE any of your fellow swappers are disappointed with the outcome.

Thank you all for your cooperation,
Janice McC
Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 AM

Janice- Have most of my blocks done and will recheck size when I repack/rebag them. Thanks for the reminder.
All the blocks are looking awesome and I love drooling over the pictures of how well they all play together. Gives me ideas for color schemes for the next boom.......
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 AM

Grand! Thank you!
Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Janice- Have most of my blocks done and will recheck size when I repack/rebag them. Thanks for the reminder.
All the blocks are looking awesome and I love drooling over the pictures of how well they all play together. Gives me ideas for color schemes for the next boom.......
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM

I was debating between two different blocks for UGC2; opted for the Funky Wrench which I liked, however decided to make the second block as well since it shows off her focus fabric better. Here it is! It's called Twisted Happy block from MaryQuilts.com. Of course, I modified it to make the correct
size. . . .

Jane
Attached Thumbnails boom-13-ugc2-bonus-block.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 AM

I love the way you made this block, Jane!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:31 AM

here are three more. The star gave me so much trouble. The pattern said 12" - it lied and came out at a perfect 10.5! I know I can't do those scant 1/4" and it sometimes messes with the pattern size - but 2 inches is not me!! Glad I had the rainbow fabric to make the border!
Hope you enjoy
Attached Thumbnails jaba.jpg   joan.jpg   urgodschild.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 AM

My block looks amazing, love the design. Thank you so much!