Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
June 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes June 1st >

June 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes June 1st

June 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes June 1st

Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 AM

It's going to be a hot one here today. 89 but some places may reach 90+. After all those cool days I'm not liking this. The building inspector came and said that the plumber needs to change one of the pipes as it's really old and it probably should have been changed when they put it in in 2000. He was here 1 minute and the permit was $100.

Mary what a nice bag. I like how you made a zippered pocket.

Yesterday morning I looked outside near my garage at 6 and I saw a mother raccoon and her 2 babies. They were in the drain hole that goes under my driveway and out to the sewers. Then they went up the hill to my other neighbors. They had knocked down my birdhouses I have on a bench but now that I blocked the screen door they can't come in my screened in porch. I was surprised to see them that early as I've only seen them at night except for the one that came in my garage. Good thing I don't have snakes. Here's a pic I took at the local farm stand of their beautiful clematis.

Everyone have a great day
Attached Thumbnails july-swap-001.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty clematis,I have 3 myself. they are looking kind of poor right now .They need rain. watering just doesn't do as well for them. Same with my wisteria.Sis there are 2 sizes for the bag. I made the smaller one to use as a purse.I like a bag that holds a lot.The bigger one is a tote size. Pat the zippered pocket is like making a regular zippered bag and sewing it on to the the interior . leaving the top unsewn to make a second pocket behind the zippered one. I like to have pockets too for my cell,pen,glasses etc. that usually ends up somewhere under everything else without the extra pockets then I have to search for them.Thanks everyone for the nice comments and Karen thanks for the headsup on the signup.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Pat the pic of the clematis is so pretty. I love climbing flowers like that too. I just love flowers. lol..

Yes, that bag is like a purse. It's so pretty, and I do like the colors of it all you put together. What I like about making a bag/purse is that it is one of a kind that no one will have one just like it. Someone else could even make one by the same pattern, but they both would still be different.

Pat it's already hot here today too. You really have the raccoons there too. My dad was telling me the other day about once when he and mom were on their way to church, and they seen two tiny baby raccoons. He stopped and picked one up and had it on his shoulder. Then he put it back down. He told me though when they get bigger all the damage they can and will do to anything they can. lol..
Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I've got a question. I started making bread and butter pickles today.My husband went up to the attic (exterior entrance only) he bumped a hornets nest that was on the side of the railing.(about 6"in dia Nest) anyway there is another nest right above the door. he has sprayed both nests and the hornets are really pisxxxx off. So he can't go in the attic to get my canner till at least morning. My question. The cucumbers are sliced and have salt on them and are supposed to set for 3 hrs. well it's been 7 hrs and will be another 12 hrs or so.Will this ruin the cucumbers or make the pickles be too salty? I hate to throw them out,but I don't want awful pickles either. Hope someone has a answer. Thanks Mary
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

Pat beautiful flowers.
Mary, all i know about pickles is I like them on a burger.
Didn't try for veggies this yr. the darn squirrel took all my veggies last year.
that little bum.
My friend Jeanne took pics of my chickie, I think it's under pictures, if anyone wants to see her.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

someone mentioned a 'tilda doll' what is it?
waiting to see if my friend posted my chickie picture yet, can't find it.
I won't have a car for at least another week still. My son's car will be at leat $2,000
now and another week b4 it's fixed. since june, he's put in about $3,400. you think it's
just 600, then something else, then something else. when do you stop. all this money
could have been put down on a newer car. BUT,,,when you start, you don't think it will be that much.
i feel badly for him and don't know what to do. sooooo, he has my car for another week.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Lynnie I went to pictures, but didn't see a chicken listed. Maybe I didn't go to the right place.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Also, you can type in Tilda Doll, and then look at where images show up, and it will show many different ones. I hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 AM

Can't help you with your canning. I've only made freezer strawberry jam. I would be scared that if I did canning anything I would end up with botulism. I sure hope all those hornets are dead. The Tilda doll is a cloth doll with long legs and arms that was first made in, I think, some Swedish country and I got the book with the patterns at JoAnn's. The fabric they used was beautiful but no on in the US sells it.
I hate car repairs and I just spent $500 on my DS's brakes and alignment.
It's a little cooler today but the dewpoint is 68. I'm supposed to get thunderstorms this afternoon and then it will get cooler. I just checked out the weather for the city I lived in in NH and they are going to be 93 today. That is too hot way to early for them and the dewpoint in the 70's. I guess I shouldn't be complaining.
Everyone have a great day
Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 AM

About the pickles..if you keep ice on them and put them in the frig they will be ok..some recipes tell you to keep them cold for 24 hrs so they will be ok..Also you are gonna rinse the salt off so they will not be salty..Monday I put up 18 quarts of tomatoes and 6 pints of salsa..I tried to grow the vegies but have sandy soil so the garden didn't fair well so bought the tomatoes..bummer! I love to can and freeze..Have a good day all!