Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Be My Funky Valentine Swap ... xoxoxo ... Sign-ups end September 30th

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    This looks like fun with plenty of lead time. I need that So glad there is a variety on these blocks of style we can do them in.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

OOOOhhhh I'll be lurking.. Let's see how my schedule shakes out!
    SheriR~
    December 2.5" Candy Charm Swap
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...p-t254479.html

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

I will be lurking around too. I am a little bogged down at the moment but gee by Sept. 30th, I may be able to do it. We'll see.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

I'm thinking of making this pattern from http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/201...ith-bonus.html, but it is 6.5 x 8.5 any ideas on how to add a little more to get length to get it right for the swap? Any expert quilters out there who have any ideas on modifying the pattern?

Blog Entries
    Just add a border. When you put them together with the rest of the blocks it goes together nicely. Or, you can redraft the block. Sorry, I am not good at that. But, maybe someone else will know.
    10-2-12, the lucky day I became a granny!

I was going to suggest a 1 inch border on the bottom too. I think that'd be easier than redrafting. Love that block!!

Rachel

Yes, adding a boarder was my first thought too. But a strip at the bottom might make it seem too off balance, maybe 1/2 inch to top and bottom of the same background color fabric so that the heart is still in center? Or maybe not in same background fabric but a single heart/valentines print?

Blog Entries
    Very new to this site and relatively new to quilting.

I have been looking at the various swaps and this one seems to be doable as far as the time frame goes. But of course I have a question.

Can I use Valentine colours (White, Red, Pink) and Valentine prints, but make simple blocks? 9 patch for example, I know I do not yet have the skill set to do paper piecing or anything really fancy.

Being that I am new to quilting I do not yet have a stash, so will be buying the fabrics for this swap. I want to know I can participate with simple squares before buying.

Blog Entries
    Tothill, come join us. Every quilt looks great with a simple block, pieced blocks, ect. And, we all start somewhere in quilting. Everytime I join a swap, I push myself into a new direction just a little more. And, I also get so much inspiration from the blocks I receive. They, at times inspire me to try a new skill. So come have fun with us.
    10-2-12, the lucky day I became a granny!

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Very new to this site and relatively new to quilting.

I have been looking at the various swaps and this one seems to be doable as far as the time frame goes. But of course I have a question.

Can I use Valentine colours (White, Red, Pink) and Valentine prints, but make simple blocks? 9 patch for example, I know I do not yet have the skill set to do paper piecing or anything really fancy.

Being that I am new to quilting I do not yet have a stash, so will be buying the fabrics for this swap. I want to know I can participate with simple squares before buying.
    You can find some great Valentine fabrics and make some blocks from them. You do not have to do paper piecing. Swaps are a great time to try something new though and perhaps learn how to do something you didn't think you could do!! Maybe instead of picking a simple block you already know how to do, search around online for a block that pushes your skills one step further. You don't have to do this, but a lot of the skills I have to day were learned by pushing myself for swaps!! Let me know if you are interested in joining officially so I can add you to the list.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast