Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Batik Block Swap 12.5 - Signups thru 5-31-13 - Due 7-31-13 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/batik-block-swap-12-5-signups-thru-5-31-13-due-7-31-13-a-t218860.html)

createfourpaws 04-21-2013 06:44 PM

I agree with elisabrat......dont give up. Keep trying. When I was working on blocks for another swap they kept coming up 12 1/4, went back and looked at my seams and they were about 3/8 instead of 1/4, so I adjusted my needle position to get scant 1/4, and today the blocks I was making have come out exactly 12 1/2. I am so excited.
The other thing is what how you could be pressing your seams. I would start with some simpler blocks and again use your ugly fabric for practice. Keep trying it will happen, and come out right.

verna2197 04-22-2013 05:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I am going to try it again today. If it doesn't come out that will be it for this swap and I will just have to work on it.

Elisabrat 04-22-2013 06:29 AM

block size

I have a great idea! go to quilters cache. in patterns check out the 10 inch blocks. make one of those then put a border on it so you end up with a 12.5 inch block. this way if your 10 inch is say 1/8th an inch or a 1/4 inch too big too small you can adjust that border to make it work to be a 12.5 inch block! tada! just a thought but a good one. I have done this myself :)

createfourpaws 04-22-2013 08:15 AM

Looking through my stash of batiks I have discovered that I have very little light colored batiks. I have lots that are multicolored. I haven't paid much attention to see if there are any batiks that are in the lighter color schemes.

Yeah an excuse to go shopping and I will go to the new batik only shop here in the Dallas area, called Fabric Fanatics. Here is their link http://www.fabricfanatics.com/

I first saw them at the Dallas Quilt show last month.

tracibug 04-22-2013 09:21 AM

Keep trying, Verna... and using elisabrat's idea with the border is entirely acceptable too!

The colors everyone used last time ranged from darks to brights to lights to earth tones so whatever you work with will fit in nicely!!

Annaquilts 04-22-2013 11:00 PM

I might sign up later on. The 12 1/2 inch size will be perfect. I will be folllowing this thread.

Elisabrat 04-24-2013 07:59 AM

I was wondering what more people prefer blues/greens or oranges yellows ? I would like to send the blocks that will match up the best with the other ones. nothing like being the only YELLOW sunshine block amist a bunch of teal blocks how to have a block no one can use so everyone what say you? what would you prefer to receive most of?

createfourpaws 04-27-2013 02:36 PM

I went shopping today at Fabric Fanatics..........all they sell is batiks.........all the same price.. They also have wide backs. I was in heaven. I bought about 12 different lighter colored batiks to go with what I already have. went into their sale room and had lots of fun.

I am almost ready to start making my blocks. Need to finish up a few others swaps before I start theses.

createfourpaws 04-27-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat (Post 6023212)
I was wondering what more people prefer blues/greens or oranges yellows ? I would like to send the blocks that will match up the best with the other ones. nothing like being the only YELLOW sunshine block amist a bunch of teal blocks how to have a block no one can use so everyone what say you? what would you prefer to receive most of?

I dont do muc with the orange yellows but not opposed to them.

createfourpaws 04-27-2013 06:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well here is pictures of the fabric I bought today to go with my darker colored batiks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]410341[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]410342[/ATTACH]

And with all the fabric I bought I got this great bag too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]410343[/ATTACH]