Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #4 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/row-robin-2012-2013-group-4-a-t200775.html)

Lv2sew2011 01-17-2013 01:24 AM

I have made 3 stars and cannot get the points with out sewing on them, I even cut 4" squares instead of 3 7/8" squares I'm sewing at 1/4" seam allowance, just not liking it. What am I doing wrong...????

Vanogay 01-18-2013 01:29 PM

Boy, don't know - post a picture of what you're sewing, maybe that'll help.

QuilterMomma 01-18-2013 02:26 PM

Something I learned from Sally Collins is that when you are sewing those points be sure to sew a thread or two towards the outside of the point so you do not cut them off. Jan Krentz says the same thing. I don't have a block here at office to show you. If I think of it at home, will show you. Also, when you are done sewing, do you size them down with the diagonal of the ruler? Then just trim, another point when trimming from Jinny Beyer and the above, is that you set your ruler on top of square and be sure the line on ruler is inside the edge so you don't trim to small and you get an accurate cut and block in the end. These are simple little things that made a large difference in my piecing. Just some suggestions for you.

Lv2sew2011 01-18-2013 10:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here they are, I've ripped out until I'm sick of it...LOL I've use 12 1/2" Square Ruler to cut...only thing I can think of it's pattern from the book is to big, so I've even taken bigger seam and this is what I ended up with.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]389094[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]389095[/ATTACH]

Lv2sew2011 01-19-2013 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]389111[/ATTACH]

I've tried my best and this is as good as it's going to get! I'm running out of blue fabric...LOL Grilscouts1 let me know if you want me to add my row, I'm just not very good at stars...:(

Vanogay 01-19-2013 03:44 AM

Luv, looks like your sewing was okay - unless you really took a bigger seam (larger than 1/4"?) On one, looks like your ruler may have slipped and you cut the 1/4" off your square. Don't fret over this, try to learn from it (she says to the one who has tried repeatedly to get it right. Sorry.) I think together the stars look good - from my distance anyway. Think I'll just go away.

Sauki1 01-19-2013 04:31 AM

Luv,

Your row looks wonderful! I discovered this great tool for doing half square triangles and it allows me to get my center points perfect every time. I'm upstairs at the moment and don't remember the name but it sure works well :)

It's lovely and I'm sure she will appreciate your hard work in creating your row. :)

Lv2sew2011 01-19-2013 05:42 AM

No I'm coping the pattern from the book and it's not because it to small, it's way bigger than it should be...the dark blue square when I was done was 13" and I even took bigger seams...I think the pattern from the book is just too big.....

LOL
I'll get over it, I just get so frustrated when it don't come out right...I'm a Virgo and they are perfectionist...LOL
Donna

PS Thank you for the help!
Donna

Originally Posted by Vanogay (Post 5796671)
Luv, looks like your sewing was okay - unless you really took a bigger seam (larger than 1/4"?) On one, looks like your ruler may have slipped and you cut the 1/4" off your square. Don't fret over this, try to learn from it (she says to the one who has tried repeatedly to get it right. Sorry.) I think together the stars look good - from my distance anyway. Think I'll just go away.

Sauki1 01-19-2013 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=I'm a Virgo and they are perfectionist...LOL[/QUOTE]

I'm a Virgo too! :)

girlscouts1 01-19-2013 06:47 PM

Donna, I LOVE it,.... I am sure if you look at my points, they are not perfect either.... Love what you did!!! Please don't forget to sign my signature BLock.... Thanks for the great Row!!!!! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011 (Post 5796821)
No I'm coping the pattern from the book and it's not because it to small, it's way bigger than it should be...the dark blue square when I was done was 13" and I even took bigger seams...I think the pattern from the book is just too big.....

LOL
I'll get over it, I just get so frustrated when it don't come out right...I'm a Virgo and they are perfectionist...LOL
Donna

PS Thank you for the help!
Donna