Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Sign Up for October 2012 Halloween or Sender's Choice Doll Quilt Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/sign-up-october-2012-halloween-senders-choice-doll-quilt-swap-t201235.html)

Krystyna 10-04-2012 03:26 PM

Hobbycat, too funny ... Hi, Partner, LOL!

Dragonfly Nana 10-04-2012 05:59 PM

"Trick or Treat - Smell my feet...." I think the smelling is the trick you have to do to get the treat!

Fond memories of my Dad asking the 8-12 year olds what kind of trick they were going to do to get the treats. There was one little girl who piped up quite proudly that she could do a cartwheel and then did one! Needless to say the big softee gave her an extra hand full while grinning from ear to ear. :)

marytoddliz 10-04-2012 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana (Post 5562701)
"Trick or Treat - Smell my feet...." I think the smelling is the trick you have to do to get the treat!

Fond memories of my Dad asking the 8-12 year olds what kind of trick they were going to do to get the treats. There was one little girl who piped up quite proudly that she could do a cartwheel and then did one! Needless to say the big softee gave her an extra hand full while grinning from ear to ear. :)

Awe, that sounds like my Dad. When we were just little brats! we lived on the beach south of Santa Cruz.(you could see the ocean from our living room, it was awesome, now all the houses are torn down and mansions are built there, no poor kids live anywhere near our old neighborhood) It wasn't completely remote but the houses were quite a ways apart, so my Dad, having 8 kids decided to have a neighborhood harvest party, everyone would bring all their candy "treats" in buckets and set up stations, like the school carnivals are now days. And we had lots of games and scavenger hunts and food! tons of food.

The trick or treating was a element all in it's own. Some people would ask for tricks to be preformed, others asked for stuff like sing a song, solve a riddle... It was great fun. This all took place in a huge barn that belonged to one of the hay farmers in the area, all we had to do was clean up the mess so the workers could get back to work the next day! We had hay rides if the hay had not been delivered, but if there was hardly any hay we made a haunted house.

Halloween meant good times when I was a kid. And a lot of the "candy" was actually homemade popcorn balls, caramel apples, Oranges, Quarters, pieces of cake, homemade fudge. and full sized chocolate bars! I know growing up in the 50's and 60's was not always perfect, but the things we worried about were a lot different than they are now. Oh yeah and NOBODY had a store bought costume, they were all hand made, a lot of time we made our own, might be why I started sewing at an early age.

Thanks for taking me back to that age of innocence, Halloween was not about devils or horror movies, it was about fun, sometimes scary fun, but it was clean fun.

I guess I need to put away my soap box now:o

oops almost forgot I received a block from Pink Lotus, I am going to post pictures right now, before I forget again!

Elisabrat 10-04-2012 09:19 PM

Now that was a cool story.. funny how a simple word or two can inspire a thought or a memory we had long ago shelved. I wish I had your memory there what a blast. We went to Half Moon bay to the pumpkin fields long before pumpkin patches were cool big events and there was no pumpkin festival.. it was go to the farm to buy your pumpkin which to me was the greatest event ever. Mom gave out lots of candy but she didnt believe in those good treats lol popcorn balls and such omg I had a rice cake and wondered today how they could call it carmel corn rice cakes tasted like.. nothing. I think those carmel corn things tasted didnt they? now I am going to ponder. Still want that black wrapped peanut butter taffy.. ah the good old days where you didnt worry about taking out a crown with your candy or ruining your bridge.. yep good old days.

Krystyna 10-05-2012 03:41 AM

Ladies, I'm going MIA for the next two days ... the big push is on for tomorrow's fair. There are so many things that worry me. The t-shirts my son made are stinko so I have to make more today. We still need to finish some things and I am not at all sure about how to set up our booth. We have a rickety canopy and two tables and a folding picnic table and ... I just don't know. I will be so glad when this is over!

Aunt Janey 10-05-2012 04:17 AM

Krystyna,
Things will be ok once you get there. Most of the work is just getting there. If your things are anything like your doll quilts and the veils I have seen that you were making, you will have a great show as long as the weather is good. Have a good show and let us know how you did. "GO GIRL"

Aunt Janey 10-05-2012 04:26 AM

See what I mean? hobbykat1955 has posted another sneek peak. So excited, waiting is so hard. I really think she should change her board nme to ""I LOVE TO TEASE"
I also have great memories of Trick or Treating in the 50s. Had so much fun and was not afraid to be out in the neighborhood at night. Everyone knew everyone else and watched out for each other.

Elisabrat 10-05-2012 06:06 AM

Yeah we used to go out, like shushed out the front door, no worries, a zillion kids in my neighborhood track and we would be gone for hours, do a few blocks and get home REALLY LATE (ie probably was like 8:30) but boy was it fun when you could take a pillow case out and come back half full because everyone gave candy.. yup those were the days. I never felt safe letting mine go out alone how sad..

ok hobbykat your ghostie fabric is adorable.. I think my halloween display would only be amplified with something so cool so perhaps I can send your partner some.. easter fabric say and you send that one to me? she wont notice .. look! puppies! (slight slip of the hand and its mine!).

I think Marytoddliz will have hers today.. I hope I hope get out of bed sleepy head go wait at the post office til they open and get your wallie!
GOOD LUCK Krystyna, fairs are fun and tiring and adjustable pricing helps.. be goofy which I know will be hard work for you and you will do fine. And save halfyour stuff for the Italian Festival just add a strip of red and presto irish italians!

Elisabrat 10-05-2012 06:33 AM

Are there any good wall quilt books that you would recommend? I do NOT paper piece sigh, but would love a couple inspirational books for my shelves. Even just quilt books what do you like the most?

Quercus Rubra 10-05-2012 07:33 AM

Elisabrat.... there are many good mini quilt books out there. I Really love Kathleen Tracy's books and she has a yahoo group that I belong too-- smallquiltstalk. We do monthly mini challenges and love to share lots of info. amoungst the group. Here is her blog page that you can take a peek at and find out more more her books, yahoo group and such things.

Tricia

http://sentimentalquilter.blogspot.com/