Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Up for the June 2013 Quilting Board 46th Doll Quilt Swap! Red White and Blue

Krystyna, I feel the same I cant sit without doing some kind of craft.My husband still doesn't like it after 40 years you would think he should know I cant sit still .Thank you so much!!!! I will love one of your creations!!! Too kind.

Blog Entries
    I found something wonderful on Pinterest ... the Ogham alphabet! Here's a link to the site http://www.celticbritain.net/ogham.htm which is in Dutch, so you'll have to use Google translator if you want to read the description. BUT ...it looks like simple stitches to me and I think it would be a good secret way to sign your quilts! Unfortunately, it is missing a few letters that would be handy, but ... what do you think?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I took a class from June Colburn and designed and made a 'chop' which I had digitized and use for my labels. It is my moniker - vanogay and unless you knew, it's not as easy to read - kinda like a foreign language to others. Easy for me, perhaps!!! The oompah I typed the first time was a pure typographical error - trying to type ooftah, but guess it worked in there...
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries
    What's a chop?
    Krystyna

[QUOTE=Krystyna;6137766
    Vanogay, I hope it wasn't me! You sent me that gorgeous lace church and I never posted a photo! I promise I will as soon as I clean off the top of my dresser. It's next to the "floating Jesus" that was staring at me in the middle of the flood and I love it sooooo much~!

Oompah! I love it! Isn't that German? I thought Greeks said Hoppa![/QUOTE]

No K, it wasn't you - and yes, I guess oompah is German. I lived there for 4 year long, long ago, but hadn't thought of that in a very long time
    Kathleen

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    We're going to have to make a list of Oompa Loompa words for August. Luckily most folks (up over, not down under) go on vacation in August so maybe we won't draw too much notice!
    Well, I can tell you the Hillbilly version is NOT OOMPAH or OOFDAH but probably more like "Oh, Sh--!" Now I'm from Alabama so don't flame me, haha. And I don't make a habit of using nasty words as a rule but ev-e-ry now and then an OOFDAH slips out!

A chop is a way of signing or sealing your creations - very definitely your own design. Wikipedia says "A seal, in an East Asian context, is a general name for printing stamps and impressions thereof which are used in lieu of signatures in personal documents, office paperwork, contracts, art, or any item requiring acknowledgment or authorship...The colloquial name chop, when referring to these kinds of seals, was adapted from the Hindi word chapa and from the Malay word cap[2] meaning stamp or rubber stamps." Although mine is in threads on a piece of fabric. Lesson for today.
    Kathleen

Vanogay and Krystyna... You two are so smart... kind of like our professors here. That secret alphabet is really neat. Oh to be a kid and write in secret notes in code again. So would this be reliving our youths?
    Bertie, never fear: Oofdah/ Oofdah isn't a nasty word. My Nana was Norwegian and had the standards of a saint and she used it. It just means something like "my goodness!"
    Lyn, I love the word Crikey! Maybe August can be Oofdah, Oompah, Crikey Month. Yay! Okay now.... What in the world would be an Oofdah, Oompah, Crikey quilt?
    Oh and Kystyna didn't get any sneak peaks of our kitchen...it was pure serendipity.
    Lara B.
    ... My husband lets me buy all the fabric I can hide.

http://www.buzzinbumble.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    I found something wonderful on Pinterest ... the Ogham alphabet! Here's a link to the site http://www.celticbritain.net/ogham.htm which is in Dutch, so you'll have to use Google translator if you want to read the description. BUT ...it looks like simple stitches to me and I think it would be a good secret way to sign your quilts! Unfortunately, it is missing a few letters that would be handy, but ... what do you think?
    Well that's a pretty cool and interesting site....but I am trying to figure out why it's in Dutch. Lol!
    i have done extensive research on my families...including me Ma and Da side () and I always tease that we are. Luebloods cause all came from Ireland excep for 2....one from Scotland and one from Denmark. But mostly 95% Irish.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Vanogay, that is so cool! Did you digitize for embroidery?

Cogito, perhaps your ancestors spoke or wrote in Ogden?
    Krystyna

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast