• Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Before and After pics of my studio and PQ1500s table >
  • Before and After pics of my studio and PQ1500s table

• Before and After pics of my studio and PQ1500s table

Old 02-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Default Before and After pics of my studio and PQ1500s table

Hey all,
    I finally finished re-organizing my studio and built a new table for my PQ1500s. None of it is pretty since I'm not a carpenter, but it functions much better than before and the PQ1500s is now at a much better height for me to FMQ on YAY!

I'll post some before pics and then some after pics.

Rob
    Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 AM

Default Before studio re-organization

Here are the pics from before for the sewing and ironing stations. You can see that the PQ1500s was way too high for someone my height (5'2"). The Featherweight had to share a space with the tools for both the PQ1500s and the PC420, VX560 station so it almost never got used.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails pq1500s-table-before.jpg   featherweight-before.jpg   pc420-before.jpg   ironing-station-before.jpg  
    Old 02-26-2016, 06:53 AM

Default Studio Reorganization--After

Here it is after. The ironing station is now located in the doorway between my office and the guest bedroom (where the PQ1500s used to be). The Featherweight now has it's own dedicated space, though it will have to be moved slightly toward the ironing area if I'm quilting a particularly large quilt since the table it's on is also the support for the left side of the PQ1500s. The PQ1500s is now on a lower table with adjustable legs that I built for under $100 using only a drill with a screwdriver bit in it--no other power tools involved and it has great support both to the left and behind for quilting larger quilts, plus it's at the right height for me YAY! Beside it is a rolling cart that can hold my bionic gear bag (shown in the last photo). The next to last photo shows the new location for the cabinet that is shared between my PC420 and the old VX560, and next to that the cart that holds some of my fabric stash and the organizer where I keep all things PC420 and VX560.

As a result of all this reorganization I also was able to reorganize the storage of all the home dec fabric, batting etc. You can see that just beyond the PQ1500s--still a mess, but not as bad as it was before LOL!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails ironing-station-new-location-.jpg   featherweight-new-location.jpg   pq1500s-new-table.jpg   pc420-vx560-workspace-fabric-storage-handy-orgaizer-top.jpg   handy-place-bionic-gear-bag.jpg  

Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 AM

Default Large cutting station and assembly table and Sizzix BigShotPro

All that organization still didn't get me a place in the sewing studio for my large cutting table and my sizzix Big Shot Pro-- they are still down the hall sharing space with my painting/sculpture/jewelry studio. LOL.

Here's a pic of the cutting table, the sizzix is on a desk to the left of the cutting table, just out of view.

The table beyond the cutting table shows part of the assembly process for the smaller art quilts I've been posting in the UFO forum. There is one underneath the white bucket, jewelry daps etc. being weighted down while the glue for it's stretcher/panel dries. The piece on the cutting table has just had it's sides painted black so it will appear to float off the wall when hung. And the two folded pieces are more quilts that have been ditched and are in line for FMQ and binding once I get done with the art UFOs LOL!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails cutting-assembly-table-separate-room.jpg  
    Old 02-26-2016, 07:04 AM

*** You did a good job.
    Old 02-26-2016, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

You are lucky you have the space. Very nicely done.
    Old 02-26-2016, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

Well Done!!
    Old 02-26-2016, 08:02 AM
    Banned

That is awesome.
    Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 AM

Thanks JJ, Maniac, Tessagin and Quilty Louise, it was a challenge since the space is only 8' x 8.5" with its center located in the archway between my office and the guest bedroom. I had to fit in the three sewing stations, ironing/cutting and storage for all my threads, books, rulers and most of the fabric while at the same time leaving a way to walk through the archway and also room for folks to get to both sides of the guest bed. I did have some spill over of fabric, embellishments and batting that now inhabit the chest of drawers in the guest room and are stacked on the radiator under the windows, but I'm quilting my way through my stash, so should be able to move some of that stuff out of the way as space opens up in my sewing area. The cutting table and mat located in my main studio (for the paintings, jewelry and sculpture that I actually manage to sell) does double duty as a work surface for those activities when it's not covered in fabric. The sizzix also does double duty as it gets used both in the fiber art/quilting and in my other art.

I'm lucky to live in an old house with a fairly open floor plan and high ceilings, which helps.
    Rob
    Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks so much for posting the before and after pictures. I'm sure it makes you feel good to get stuff redone and reorganized. I enjoy seeing how people organize and store things.....I'm always looking for better ways to organize, etc....so it's inspiring to see everyone else's efforts. Good job!