Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric ID

Fabric ID

I took advantage of the 'Mirage' fabric that Connecting Threads had on sale, and bought 48 different 1 yd pieces
    I had bought a bit of that fabric before, liked it, and wanted to have samples here at home to use. I didn't 'need' them, and I had no immediate plans for them. Then, as I was waiting for them to arrive, I thought, oh no, how am I going to ID them when they come and when I store them?
    I don't remember them coming this way before, which may just be my remembering problem, they may do all fabrics like this, but each piece came with a sticker attached, with it's name/number.
    So, I cut a 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch piece of each fabric and folded the ID sticker around it. That way, as I use one and find I need more, at least I can identify it.

(I have a son that just got out of the Navy, who was in the nuclear propulsion dept. He really thinks things through, and organizes, and really pays attention to detail, we always call it as 'nuking something.' I think I nuked fabric organization!)
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean????

Me neither.

Power Poster
    Super idea! Now you will know the name of the fabric you are searching for and cannot find.

You are so clever.
    Jean in MI

I would also get myself a small notebook of some sort and glue those pieces to pages, that way they won't get lost and are easy to see. I do that with most of my fabric swatches. Great quick reference, specially when I need to go get matching fabric, just take the swatch book with me.

Blog Entries
    Yes, indeed you did nuke fabric organization.
    Veronica

I'm glad you agree! (especially since I'm a Veronica too!)

I like the book idea, beats my 'stuff in a plastic bag' idea
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean????

Me neither.

I did something similar - except taped my swatch to an index card having the swatch go over the top edge (taped on back) to better compare different fabrics. Using my printer used the postcard setting creating a grid I whipped up and mark where I got it from, how much it cost, where stored, how many pieces, plus length. Sounds complicated but was super easy and visually easy to see/read. I file in 2 index card boxes - one box is by color, 2nd is for my 1/8th inch and below blenders, child fabrics, and non-cotton fabrics.

That does sound like a good system. So good, I expected you to end the post with "I was in the Navy too"

Me neither.

Great idea, wow if I could only do that.
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
    I would also get myself a small notebook of some sort and glue those pieces to pages, that way they won't get lost and are easy to see. I do that with most of my fabric swatches. Great quick reference, specially when I need to go get matching fabric, just take the swatch book with me.

Or get the multi pocket plastic pages for ring binders that you use to hold business cards, or coins or stamps (whatever size fits) and just slide the fabric swatches in.

They'll be nicely protected and easily seen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast