Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff! >

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Do you belong to a Quilt Guild? My Guild has had a Garage Sale, when people bring in stuff to sell, they no longer want or need. Sometimes there is FREE stuff. I got some poly batting that way.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:14 AM

I like organizing sewing rooms. I have helped several of my friends. You feel so good when it's done. Did you rake a before and after picture?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 AM

My DH thought I had too much fabric. I have a bedroom that I use as my quilting room and it's small. I took him to a LQS and he saw that fabric cost $12 a yard. Now I am using my stash fabric and only buy when I absolutely have to. I do not throw anything away, I would give it to a thrift store first. I sorted my fabric into bins and it has worked for me. Good Luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:45 AM

One project at a time. You will get there.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:46 AM

I agree that if you don't feel like you'll ever use it, or if it's a project you just don't really want to finish, it's best to let it go. To me, it's not just that it's taking up space, but it's a psychic weight on your energy and creativity. Sometimes letting something go, lets a new creative space come in. I've done that many times, not just with quilting projects, but with other craft projects. One time I decided to try making candles. Got a bunch of stuff, did it a few times, and well...it just wasn't fun. I decided to let it go, because to me quilting (or hobby) is not a production it's a creative joyful outlet. And if it's not joyful...time to let it go.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Stick with it and you will win...
Old 11-10-2014, 05:17 AM

I've made it through a lot of the stuff. Still have more organizing to do. Have all my finished tops in one container. I'm telling myself I need to quilt these before starting any more tops. Have two trash bags full of fabrics to donate. Most are not quilting fabrics but fabrics and scraps from other sewing projects.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:00 AM

We recently changed our rooms around, as I'm getting ready to retire, so I now have a larger craft room. I had to pack everything up to store it while we were painting and installing new carpet through out the house. So now, I get to unpack everything and get it organized the way I want it. It is overwhelming at times, but I just work on it as I have some time (not retired yet, so don't have as much time as I will soon). I didn't have time to go through it while I was getting it packed, so now I that I can take my time, I will be sorting it between what I want to keep, and what I want to get rid of. I don't think I will toss anything out, as I think most of what I have someone some place can use it for something. I will either give it to a friend who teaches special ed classes, as she can always use craft supplies, or to a senior center that can use it.
I keep a bucket with a pillowcase next to my cutting table and sewing machine, so that if I'm trimming anything I can put all my fabric scraps that I know I can't use for something else into the pillowcase, and when it is full I will have a cat bed. I have had this bucket next to my machine for over 2 years, and I haven't gotten it full yet, but I haven't been doing a lot of sewing lately either... so nothing to toss in there. But I find that the bucket isn't in my way, and I like knowing that every bit of fabric I buy is going to be used for something and not tossed in the trash.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:32 PM

I'm kind of fighting the same battle. Just have to do a little at the time. I have been sorting into brown paper bags for donations and get rid of ; what I am keeping goes back on a shelf or spot picked for it. When the paper bags get full- try to drop them off - do not keep them sitting around or they are still in the way. I have found so much packed away. Sometimes I only work for a few minutes; other times I can go longer. But it is getting more manageable and I am looking forward to sewing again. Hang in there.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Just remember to take time to sew, because if all you do is organize and sort, you will not enjoy what you do have.