Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff! >

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I also agree with the 3 pile option. For the donation, you can always call your local senior citizen center and see if there is a sewing group that makes charity quilts. Or find a church that does.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 PM

Everyone has given you great advice. I will give you a way to use up that high loft batting you don't know what you were thinking when you bought it. I use than kind of batting in my pet mats. So if you don't want to use it, find someone who can sew that makes pet mats. Can make them crate sizes and also floor size. They love them! I know I am moving in a couple years...have already started to do some cleaning out!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM

I got back into it this last month but I don't have any stash...so I caught myself going 5 times for a project bag I was making...5 times to the store to get fabric, interfacing, cording, whatever!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Another great use for high loft batting is to try doing trapunto. High loft is awesome for trapunto. It is also great for tied quilts. I love a tied quilt with high loft batting. It is like a comforter.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:13 PM

I always feel better in a "clean out" when I give a pile to Salvation Army...somehow giving what I won't use use, makes me feel better about not using it...somehow that makes sense to me!
Old 12-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
Everyone has given you great advice. I will give you a way to use up that high loft batting you don't know what you were thinking when you bought it. I use than kind of batting in my pet mats. So if you don't want to use it, find someone who can sew that makes pet mats. Can make them crate sizes and also floor size. They love them! I know I am moving in a couple years...have already started to do some cleaning out!
I agree with this. When I began quilting I was told to use high loft in quilts. When my father passed I had my first finished quilt back. It was high loft filling. My dogs will do anything to sleep on it. I've wAshed it and tried to hide it they always find it. High loft poly must be warmer than this thin cotton batting we have now.
Cats also prefer the high loft as well.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
You just have to say "NO MORE" and close your eyes when you throw something in the trash and never look back.
But I really wouldn't just willy nilly throw stuff in the trash.

I'm an American who lives in a "poor" country and when I return to the states, I'm shocked anew how wasteful we Americans are.

If it is not "garbage", please at least donate it to a thrift store if you don't want it anymore. It's not really hard. In fact, if you have a few bags, I believe places like the Salvation Army will come and get it from you.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:17 PM

I like to make baby quilts from high loft batting, it makes them cuddly.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:28 AM

I felt like this and am following a website called FlyLady which helps and encourages . I have managed to get quilting 'stuff' everywhere. This site is encouraging when no one else is there. Remember it took longer than one week to make the mess so will take time to straighten.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:58 AM

I"m doing a 40 Bags in 40 Days Challenge to get clutter out of my house. Day 1 was Christmas leftovers (wraps and bags). Day 2 was fabric. Day 3 was more fabric. I'm thinking the trend will continue. LOL. As I look at each piece of fabric, I ask, "Does it bring me up or down?" If down, out it goes. I ask, "Do I love it?" (I rank it 1-10 and only 7 and higher gets kept.) I try not to overthink it. My word for 2015 is "Embrace" and that means, among many other things, I will embrace free space. Embrace breathing room. Embrace the joy of letting go. Embrace the feeling of not being tied to my STUFF. Embrace creativity--which can not happen in the midst of chaos.

I am taking a "before" shot of one small space (one drawer, one half of hanging rod in the closet, one basket, etc) and when I've filled a bag, I label it "Day __: ___" Then take a pic of bag and clutter-free space and text it to my niece for accountability. She "gets" it totally, as she sews for a living!