Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ingenious ways to store thread - got any? :)

Out of the box (or off the flower) idea. This time of year I occasionally buy cut mums. At my local Costco they come with each flower held together in a mesh tube about 4.5 inches long. This is enough to hold a 2.5 inch high spool and a bobbin on top and neither will unwind. Only problem is I like yellow mums and white would be more practical. This has got to be a standard floral item. I also like the donuts - a different color for each machine.

I store my thread in plastic boxes, labeled with the type of thread inside.
    The boxes are tall enough that I can stand the thread up, and use a golf tee to attach the bobbin to its corresponding spool.
    I got 3" golf tees, and they are easy to break (cut to score a line only, then break on the line) if they are too tall
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean????

Me neither.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  873.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  255.0 KBI just use the rings from staples and the hair bands for little kids, as pictured... That is how I store bobbin threads
    Last edited by hopetoquilt; 09-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.

yel
    Blog Entries
    if you go to the home depot or lowes or menards ...and get some clear tubing [like you use for fish tanks only bigger ..3/4x1/2]cut it just a smidge smaller than the width of the bobbin slit the side ..slip it over the bobbin and the thread stays put....and you can see what color it is

Just a quick note. Thread in open storage gets very dusty and can be hard on our machines. I now keep mine in boxes. With all the fibers floating around in my quilt room it gets dusty.

Blog Entries
    [QUOWhat a good idea!TE=hopetoquilt;6314157]Name:  image.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  873.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  255.0 KBI just use the rings from staples and the hair bands for little kids, as pictured... That is how I store bobbin threads[/QUOTE]

Storing bobbins

Found this idea on Pinterest. Use the plastic that is used for spiral binders to hold your bobbins. Should be able to find at office supply stores.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickpea View Post
    Found this idea on Pinterest. Use the plastic that is used for spiral binders to hold your bobbins. Should be able to find at office supply stores.
    What a great idea! How come I never think of things like this ! Thanks for sharing.
    Certified basketcase
    Diane

When all the school supplies came out, I purchased ALOT of the 96 cents plastic pencil boxes at Walmart. I can put 6 (I think it was) large spools of Floriani embroidery thread in each box. I do this by turning every other one upside down. I think there is enough room in the boxes to add the bobbins also. Then label the boxes with the thread numbers or colors and stack away!
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    To keep the spool of thread and the bobbin together, cut a drinking straw to the appropriate length. Slip the piece of straw into the spool of thread and put the bobbin down over the straw.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast