Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose >

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Old 01-19-2015, 04:28 AM

Use a chatelaine while you work. That way everything is right where your hands are.

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
You know the tools and what-nots I'm talking about...seam rippers, little, green scissors, seam gauges, the "good" pair of eyeglasses...the list goes on and on. I have them in my hands one minute and then, ...pooufff!... like magic, they disappear. How do you keep those small items that you use regularly at hand, without them getting lost under quilt fabrics and sleeping cats?

~ Cindy
Old 01-19-2015, 05:19 AM

I have a couple of flat divided plastic trays that I use for all the "necessities". They are easy to see and easy to grab when I need them.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:45 AM

I have an old container that used to hold remote controls. I use that for scissors, eyeglasses, rotary cutters, pens, etc. For smaller things like seam rippers, I use a magnetic pin holder dedicated to anything EXCEPT pins.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:44 AM

I use a rotating pencil holder from the office supply store. It has a long middle for scissors and a ruler, the. Lots of 'cups' for little scissors, sewing machine brush, pencils, sharpies, seam rippers, etc.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Tropit, I hear your pain! I have been sewing more lately and I too have the same problem. So I decided I was just going to have to bite the bullet and deliberately force myself into better H A B I T S. Pretty much that is what it really is….a habit!! I got a two tier small turntable (like Rubbermaid makes) and I use it for the smaller tools I would use constantly on a particular project. (of course not a big ruler that is used to cut squares as that would be kept on the cutting table) but small things I would use for a particular project like a marking pen, small scissors, Elmer’s pins, point turner, buttons for the item I am currently working on-as I do both quilts and clothes….and then I make a deliberate effort to put them back on the turntable when I am done using them, for the moment, and then when I need them again I know where they are. This is a HABIT and it was hard getting used to, but I stick with it and it has greatly eased some of the pain we share….lol!!! BTW, the QBr's have some great tips for your post! Thanks all!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
Use a chatelaine while you work. That way everything is right where your hands are.
OMG...Now there's something I haven't seen in awhile. My grandmother used to have one of those. I was always so intrigued with it when I was little.

There are so many great tips here...thanks everyone. I'm doing some reorganizing today because for the 3rd time, I lost my seam ripper, so I figured I'd better clean things up. Hey! I just found one of my seam rippers in my scraps basket! Can I stop cleaning now?

~ Cindy
Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 AM

I use a little wooden box to keep things i use all the time in, they are always there when i need them, you can use a small basket or ecen a lunch box or fishing box
Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 AM

I bought a sturdy metal tool box with a removable tray. I keep all my small stuff in the top tray and scissors in the bottom ready to go to a workshop or guild meeting. Also, in my top desk drawer, I lined the entire drawer with cut-down boxes taped together. When I pull out that drawer, I can see at a glance what I am looking for.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 PM

I try to always set things in the same place while I'm using them and put them back where they belong when I'm done using them, or at least at the end of the day. I have a mouse pad to the right of my sewing machine to set stuff on -- keeps it from falling off the counter.

The top drawer of my sewing cart has several wet-wipe containers with the tops pried off. I'm talking about the small rectangle flushable wet-wipe containers. (Of course they are washed and sanitized.) One section is for the stuff I use all the time aka cutting nippers and seam rippers and tweezers, and the others for less often used stuff. The containers can be used on a counter too using binder clips or hot glue to hold them together.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM

I can tell you what I have DESIGNATED to hold small stuff , and in THEORY it does. But it really depends on the user (me) to put things in it!

i call it a treasure box. It's like a brown leather pirate's chest in miniature ( about 12" long, 4" wide, 5 deep with arcing lid and metal latch. In theory it holds big scissors, thread, seam ripper, etc. I keep it close to my machine.

if I want to keep stuff that's really small and will fit in my purse or next To my recliner, it's a hard eyeglass case. It will hold embroidery scissors, small spool, needles, seam ripper, thimble, and a few clips. In theory it's ready all the time.