Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose >

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Old 01-18-2015, 02:48 PM

I have a small basket to the right of my machine that holds those things. Currently, I'm using an office desk to sew in that has a pull-out keyboard tray. I have keep my sewing machine accessories there, but I'll have to find a new home for them when I cut a whole in the desk for my machine. I like having my small scissors, seam ripper, small ruler, etc. in the basket.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:07 PM

I keep all my little stuff in a little bucket my son brought home from a Christmas party. It was filled with candy.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:12 PM

I use a basket with a handle. Have a small one that has the essentials so I can take it from spot to spot.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
You know the tools and what-nots I'm talking about...seam rippers, little, green scissors, seam gauges, the "good" pair of eyeglasses...the list goes on and on. I have them in my hands one minute and then, ...pooufff!... like magic, they disappear. How do you keep those small items that you use regularly at hand, without them getting lost under quilt fabrics and sleeping cats?

~ Cindy
For my regular stuff that I use all the time I use a sewing basket, the other little stuff not regularly used I use and artbin super deluxe satchel with divided top/bottom. I got mine at joanns with coupon but there is a picture on the website below

http://www.wayfair.com/ArtBin-Super-...Jt1BoC5vnw_wcB
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 PM

For my stuff like your talking about, I use a fabric box that I made.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:03 PM

I have a small 3 drawer shelf unit made by Sterlite and sold by WM. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-4/15442451 By the way, that price is for set or 4 of them. WM sells them in the stores as individual units.

The dimensions are: 13.5"L x 10.87"W x 9.63"H
I can't fit rulers in it, but it will hold almost everything else. I end up with that size area of junk by my sewing machine, but very disorganized, if I don't put this unit by me. When I go somewhere, I take it with me. I keep meaning to make a carry case for it so the drawers won't come open.

I, also, have a tool bag I got at Home Depot that works really well too. It has a lot of pockets where things can be stood up in it. I use this to transport the items, but once I start working, my stuff gets strewn everywhere. The drawer organizer is easier to open and shut and know in which drawer each type item is. There is a smaller version that will hold rotary cutters and more. I like both sizes.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 AM

Ditto works great

Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
I use a big soup cup that was going to the goodwill since we never used it. It deep enough to hold seam ripper, scissors, my cleaning brushes, anything else that I need at the machine. Works great and does not take up a lot of space.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:08 AM

I use a set of small galvanized flower buckets - one for at home and one for travel - that I got at a wedding reception. seamripper, trim scissors, small hand lotion, eye drops (ah the joy of getting older), extending magnet, small screwdriver, and all those things than are so handy and so loseable.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:47 AM

I put my rotary cutters (I inherited two of them from my mother) in glasses cases. Works just great. I also put my scissors point side down in a tin can (actually, it is a Hersheys miniature candy bar can), works. I use those Command hooks on the door to my sewing table and can put rulers, scissors that I use most of the time, that works and a couple of baskets to put in the brush to brush my machine, my little ruler, (the kind that rolls up), a couple of automatic pencils, my sewing pencils, ball point pen, my orange stick. Stuff that I don't use all the time, but are in a place when I need them, (unless of course, I put them in a different place, which I am totally prone to do.) The templates and template rulers I put in a desk thing that is plastic and is divided into sections. I can get the templates in there, envelopes if I need them, something I want to read. Doesn't take up too much space if you set it in a corner someplace. Edie
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
I use a big soup cup that was going to the goodwill since we never used it. It deep enough to hold seam ripper, scissors, my cleaning brushes, anything else that I need at the machine. Works great and does not take up a lot of space.
Similar to what I use, great as long as you put your thingies in them!