Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose >

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Old 09-05-2016, 08:39 AM

I made a "bionic gear bag" from a pattern that I bought on Craftsy. It holds everything, seam ripper, stiletto, needles, pin cushion, marking tools, extra pins, those clover clips (two boxes), one of those magnetic pin picker uppers, my machingers, etc. It rolls up and zips for carrying and everything stays in place nicely. It was a bit of a challenge to put together, but well worth it. There are three or four zipper compartments as well for stowing all those little things that you sometimes need, but don't have to get right to. When it is opened, all the compartments are stair stepped in size so it is very easy to see everything and grab while sewing.

Rob
Old 09-05-2016, 11:48 AM

I bought a desk organizer on clearance that has a small drawer, several divided sections, and a wider section at the back of the drawer.

I keep my small rulers, etc. in that wider section, my scissors in the divided section, things I don't use so often in the drawer. On it's small shelf, I keep a shot glass that holds my seam ripper, wooden seam presser, a pointed wooden skewer, and other tiny things that are very easy to lose. Beside that sits my long measuring tape, the wind up one, and a spool of pretty thread that I use to hold the end of my snips when I am not using them.
And finally, it holds my wooden seam ripper stand for when I have a long row of chain stitching to cut apart.

The other end of my snips is attached to my spool thread holder by a ribbon with an elastic loop at the end. I added the elastic loop because so often the ribbon was just a bit too short.

This sits to the right of my sewing machine on my sewing desk.

Last edited by wildyard; 09-05-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 AM

I bought two small (about 12"X 14") plastic boxes with 3 drawers that stack from Walmart. I labeled the drawers (Marking, Cutting, Measuring, etc.) and am training myself to put things back as soon as I am done! So far, it has helped me be able to put my hands on things when I need them.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:05 PM

Somewhere, I can't remember where online, I saw someone take those cute wooden signs with quilty sayings and screw a few cup holders along the bottom for small things like scissors to hang from. I might do that.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:12 PM

on my cutting table are 2 mugs, one with one of those cute little covers with side compartments, that hold pencils, seam ripper, markers, stiletto, etc. I have a folding case for scissors/rotary cutters that I got at a retreat--it can be folded to stand up. Peg board holds all the rulers and Accuquilt cutting mats, beside my machine I have a large mug rug and where the extra ripper, etc sit, and I have an antique muffin tin that I inherited from my Mom that holds bobbins and threads that I know I'll use soon. Other thread goes in a canning jar on a shelf in an old china cabinet I bought to hold fabric.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

I use my collection of old pottery planters... I love to look at them so much more than just plastic cups and bins. They are heavy enough that they don't tip over or move due to vibration from the sewing machine. Everything is right in view and well within reach!
Old 09-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I still have my L shaped desk that the drawers are organized with all of my sewing tools. Since the one side is the cutting and working surface and the other shorter part holds my machine, it works out well for me. I did buy one of those cubby fabric drawer holders from home depot and it holds larger things I need near my machine. It sets in the corner of the L. Like the plastic foot stand for the bernina and two of the drawers. On top of that the phone sits and pin cushions and a three stack of decorator boxes. Those hold bias binder makers and other little sewing aids. It took a while but it all came together and is easy to find everything.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:48 PM

I keep my stuff in a HUGE (around) coffee mug. Seam ripper, small scissors, pencil, Easy Angle, small rotary cutter, cleaning brush, a wedge ruler and a 2.5x10 inch ruler. I just move the coffee mug from machine to machine. Works like a charm.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
In my old sewing room, I hung one of those shoe holders on the back of the door and put all of the things that I wanted to easily find in the compartments. My doors in the new house fit too tight at the top and I can't hang it so I am floundering to find a place for all the really important little things that I can't hang on pegboard hooks. Loved the shoe holders.
Could you use some Command hooks to hang the shoe holders from?
Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
In my old sewing room, I hung one of those shoe holders on the back of the door and put all of the things that I wanted to easily find in the compartments. My doors in the new house fit too tight at the top and I can't hang it so I am floundering to find a place for all the really important little things that I can't hang on pegboard hooks. Loved the shoe holders.
I'm thinking you could attach velcro to both the holder and door to hang the shoe holder.