Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Anyone have their sewing table in the middle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/anyone-have-their-sewing-table-middle-t223836.html)

ShirlinAZ 06-17-2013 07:58 AM

My machine is in the middle of the room and I love it. I hate facing a wall, and wouldn't know what to do without "catch" space at the back of the machine. I enlarged a desk to 4' x 6' and set my machine into one side of it. Working from the other side of the desk is my cutting area with a 36" x 56" cutting mat. This is my zen space.

IshtarsMom 06-17-2013 08:09 AM

Mine is in the middle of the room also backed up to the couch..have tried to make myself go to a separate room but always end up back here where we have an open kitchen and living room. Only problem...have to think what I'm doing when I get up as I share the area with cat food trays...yesterday backed up and stepped in the cat food dish.. Yuk!! I hate that squishy stuff between your toes...LOL

Whigrose 06-17-2013 08:27 AM

My work station (cutting, stitching, press & trimming) is in the center of the room. I love it there!

If I am doing paper piecing or straight piecing, this works beautifully for me - no up and or twisting and turning. If I am doing marathon appliqueing, I move my machine to a sit-down area.

I have the natural light toward my machine, I can see out the windows and I can easily access other work areas around the room.

And, if you find you don't like it, it's not carved in stone so you can just change it up. Easy peasy.

best,
d

read2me1989 06-17-2013 03:32 PM

Mine isn't exactly in the middle of the room but I can sit behind it facing out into the room. I have shelves on both sides of my table and I like to be able to see if someone comes in so they don't scare me. LOL

asimplelife 06-17-2013 03:36 PM

I just moved into a new quilting room and got used to having my 2 sewing tables back to back in the middle of the room while I was working on the walls around them. I'm leaving them that way now but they are pushed over so that the table ends butt up to a west window for good light. I like using the 2nd table for overflow when I'm quilting.

sulyle 06-18-2013 05:16 AM

Mine is in the middle facing a window and a TV. It's at right angles with the cutting table. I love this board for all the great ideas I get here. Bet my husband doesn't like it much for the same reason.

PumpkinSundae 06-18-2013 06:42 AM

I use my dining room table.

leaha 06-18-2013 07:23 AM

Well I have 6 machines lined up along the long wall with large window, I have 3 machines on antique typewriter desk and backed with table, in the center of the room, my mid arm on grace frame has one end against the wall that has the french doors, cutting table is on far wall from mid arm, fireplace with area rug in front of it has love seat sofa and coffee table. it is right next to table and desk in center of the room. From the center I can look out the window, french doors or at TV, works for me.
I used to have every thing so I could just sit and reach every thing, so change that, I NEED to move around more so have thing as far apart as I can have them, have lost 54 pounds sense I've gotten off my fanny more, LOL

michelleoc 06-18-2013 08:22 AM

Mine is in the middle of the room, with tables surrounding it for when I am FMQing. I can't face a wall when I'm working, it gives me claustrophobia.

IrishgalfromNJ 06-18-2013 11:51 AM

Glad I saw this thread. Right now my sewing tables butts up to the wall and the windows are to the right of me. I think it would be better to move my table in front of the windows for the light and view. I don't have enough room to put the table in the middle of the room, but I wish I did.