Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   check out those thrift stores (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/check-out-those-thrift-stores-t203143.html)

thehoarder 10-14-2012 10:13 AM

I recently got a huge box of fabric for $5 and in it was a brand new, in package template for a double wedding Ring quilt. Also on Craig's list got a brand new Singer sewing machine and a brand new serger paid only $200 for both. The fun is in the hunt.

Micki922 10-14-2012 10:37 AM

I love the pictures. They really help in figuring how to organize my room!

sunny42539 10-14-2012 10:47 AM

I got a Kenmore with cabinet for $10 at a thrift shop and a 1949 White electric with cabinet for $25 at an estate sale. It is rare to find anything useful for quilting at our thrift shops.

deb8746 10-14-2012 11:00 AM

I have an old drafting table about 20 $ for cutting table it is lighted and adjustable in height. also 5 metal cabinets about 5$ each with fabric. these came from where my DH works they have a sealed bid ever so often and I also have a 5 drawer pattern cabinet ( the most expensive 50.$) bought when an old fabric store was closing.

NikkiLu 10-14-2012 11:10 AM

Nothing too exciting - but did find a whole bunch of small rulers and small cutting mats at a garage sale for 5¢ each - the "guy" had no idea what they were used for and what to charge - he thought that they were for "drafting". LOL

QuiltE 10-14-2012 02:59 PM

I love cruising the aisles of thrift stores to see what I can find.

* 6x24 ruler ... $2
* heavy duty wooden 24" shelf with a towel/quilt bar below ... $5 ... it;s now next to my ironing centre so the shelf can hold spray cans of water, best press, starch. The rod will either hold strips as I iron them. I'm also thinking of making a hanging bag with pockets for odds and ends of things. And the obvious use ... make a small quilt to hang from it!
* assorted quilt racks!
* sometimes fabric, but seldom ... I think those that work there grab it up any of the "good" stuff when they see it.
* yards of a autumn print that will be perfect for a OBW/SAW sometime (My one yardage score!)
* large plastic tote ... $2
* a huge bag of ties ... $2 ... one shop had a "stuff a bag for a twoney day" ... and I scooped every tie in site! I keep watching for that sale again

QuiltE 10-14-2012 03:31 PM

And how could I forget ....
....... crockpots!

IMPORTANT tool for a quilter ... it cooks, I sew! :)

JustJeanne 10-14-2012 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found 7 pieces of barkcloth (All the same pattern) 2 big pieces the other 5 panels (must have been some sort of curtain) for $1.00 a piece!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am trying to figure out what to do with all of it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]369766[/ATTACH]

QuiltE 10-14-2012 04:45 PM

The print screams OBW ... though I'm guessing that barkcloth is heavy duty?

If so, What about outdoor furniture covers?

w7sue 10-14-2012 09:29 PM

I went to our Goodwill 'Bin' store this past week and purchased five shirts that I parted out for quilt fabric for $3.75. When I take them apart, I save the cuffs - saw a cute idea where you can turn them into little pouches by folding them in half and sewing them together - using the button part as the flap and I save the strip of buttons (I use them to tie the bundle together after it has been washed and cut apart). I am collecing plaids for a scrappy quilt. I bought a very nice White Rotary Sewing Machine in a cabinet at a yard sale for $40 - it runs and is very pretty - made in 1929 in Cleveland, OH. I bought a Connecting Threads kit for a baby quilt for $2 at a yard sale this summer. It's always so much fun to get a deal!