Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   check out those thrift stores (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/check-out-those-thrift-stores-t203143.html)

Central Ohio Quilter 11-26-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 5617550)
The used clothing is sky high ($3.98 for a man's shirt) that I can get fabric at my LQS for about the same price!

Goodwill here also sells men's shirts for about $4, but after items are in the store for a certain number of weeks, they get marked down to half price for a week, then marked down to 75% off the following week. When I am looking for men's shirts, I only look at the shirts that are 75% off, or selling for $1.00. I have found that I can get the equivalent of 1 1/2 to 2 yards of fabric out of 1 large , XL or XXL shirt. Last I counted I have almost 100 men's shirts waiting to be used! Guess I had better get using them!

pdavis59 11-26-2012 12:14 PM

I love going to thrift stores and rescuing things that need to be loved again. My best finds include a working flat press for 12.99, a brand new hand made baby quilt for 7.00, a brand new handmade christmas table runner for 2.99, a Singer 319 in cabinet for 35.00, a tabletop Ott light for 5.00. The list goes on, but those are the things I can remember right off the top of my head.

sweetana3 11-26-2012 03:15 PM

I just got a new cream wool blanket. I am going to use it for applique after I felt it a bit and for rug hooking.

I also got a brand new brown suede zippered vest that fits great. I love thrift stores.

Marrinb123 12-28-2012 08:44 AM

OMG! I guess I'd better start frequenting Salvation Army and Goodwill! I've never seen a sewing machine there, but may be I'm not in there often enough, and ours is right next door to a Michaels Crafts (oh yarn and odds and ends), and the Goodwill backs up to my daughters favorite sports retailer (Big 5 for soccer stuff). To think I've paid full price for all of my rulers, mats and other 'essentials' ! Wow! Thanks, ladies, this is a great idea! I do use the wicker style baskets from the dollar store, but it never occurred to me that you could find quilting stuff at the thrift store!

Micki922 12-28-2012 04:16 PM

I never find anything useful, but I think I don't go often enuf! And I'm always looking for older machines...someday

MisDixie 12-28-2012 04:55 PM

I have a funny story for you all!

I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!

auntpiggylpn 12-28-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MisDixie (Post 5746241)
I have a funny story for you all!

I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!

How nice of them to think of you!!! Thanks for the giggle!

JuneBillie 12-30-2012 10:33 PM

I love going to the thrift stores.

craftiladi 01-03-2013 07:33 AM

Dee's Delights

1 Attachment(s)
Oh a subject I love....more like obsessed. I love to re-purpose stuff. My whole sewing rm is just about all thrift/yard sales, after all its a hobby so my intention when I moved my ladies cave from a small bedrm to the once never used formal living rm I needed to be creative, its changed a few times over the last couple years but I think I got it now-lol well until I find something I just can't live with out-lol

Not a great pic, grainy phone pic-sorry. I was going to show more but its not letting me. The red hutch was a curbside find, the long buffet cabinet was 8.00 Goodwill, the sewing table was a old ugly one my MIL had, painted blk to match, the wicker shelves-hmm I have been hauling those around for so long I don't remember, they have been repainted so many times...Spray Paint is my love. Love my thrift store finds....1904 singer 40.00 , 1948 singer 25.00 yd sale,1927 New Home 10.00, 2 Singers 401 & 403A less then 150.00 for both and they have cams. Singer 99-31 40.00, and my pride & joy 1891 coffin Top Treadle.

craftiladi 01-03-2013 07:38 AM

More of Dee's Delights

4 Attachment(s)
Hmm for some reason I was able to upload more then one pic this time....oh well here's more of the rm I spend the most time in.Thanks for looking and the topic.