Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How do you store your batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-your-batting-t280174.html)

NoraM 07-04-2016 03:17 PM

How do you store your batting?

I'm in the process of setting up a new sewing room in the basement, and I'm trying to think through the best storage solutions for everything from fabric and thread to rulers and batting. For those of you who long-arm, how do you store your large rolls of batting? I plan to keep one stored on the batting rail of my long arm. If you have more than one, do you hang them, store them in boxes, use storage bins? Solutions are appreciated. Pictures too!

mamagrande 07-04-2016 04:08 PM

I have my midarm in a 12x14" bedroom, and since all my children are gone I have another spare room it is also 12x14 and it has a full and twin size beds in it. I just lean the batting in a corner of that room. place the roll on the full size bed to measure and cut the batting for the quilts.

.I only buy 2 kinds of batting..Quilter's Dream Poly Select and Hobbs 80/20. in queen size roll. Shipping is 5 to 10 days so I usually wait until I am down to 3 yards of each before ordering.

RugosaB 07-04-2016 05:39 PM

I have a metal shelving unit on each side of a window, that hold my fabric.
The batting is on a metal pole between each shelving unit, in front of the window, held up by a shelf on each side.
I sure hope that makes sense.
That way, when I need some, I can just unroll a length of batting
If I want to store another, I put another pole on a higher shelf.

NoraM 07-04-2016 08:57 PM

I would LOVE to have the space and a way to hang them on the wall and just unroll what I need as I go.

dunster 07-04-2016 09:32 PM

There's a guest bedroom near my quilting room, and it has a large closet. I store my big rolls of batting there. Packaged batting goes on top of the shelving units in the quilting room.

notmorecraft 07-04-2016 11:39 PM

Like MamaGrande I store mine in the corner of the spare bedroom, no room in my sewing room for them lol.

Prissnboot 07-05-2016 03:59 AM

I once saw someone who kept her roll of batting on her extra shower curtain rod in the spare bathroom! She took it down and put the shower curtain up when overnight company was expected. I thought what a great idea! I have a small apt and a huge roll of batting that I have safety-pinned an old sheet around and it's in my storage closet.

jjs56 07-05-2016 03:59 AM

Two rolls of batting fit on the batting bar of my 10' Avante. Before I got the Avante, I put the roll on end in one of those plastic milk cartons and put it in an out of the way corner. Wasn't ideal, but it worked. Now that I'm thinking about it, how about a vertical pole attached at the floor and ceiling or even attached to the wall? Someone's handy husband could figure it out.

katesnanna 07-05-2016 04:28 AM

I made two very large drawstring bags from ticking type fabric. I can fit 2 rolls of batting in each one. For batting scraps I have a couple of zip top totes from the $2.00 shop.

ManiacQuilter2 07-05-2016 04:51 AM

I had my batting (on a roll) hanging from the ceiling above the table that I pin basted my quilts. I stored my extra rolls under my bed. I don't quilt for anybody anymore but that is what I did when I did quilt for others.