Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your batting?

How do you store your batting?

I'm in the process of setting up a new sewing room in the basement, and I'm trying to think through the best storage solutions for everything from fabric and thread to rulers and batting. For those of you who long-arm, how do you store your large rolls of batting? I plan to keep one stored on the batting rail of my long arm. If you have more than one, do you hang them, store them in boxes, use storage bins? Solutions are appreciated. Pictures too!

I have my midarm in a 12x14" bedroom, and since all my children are gone I have another spare room it is also 12x14 and it has a full and twin size beds in it. I just lean the batting in a corner of that room. place the roll on the full size bed to measure and cut the batting for the quilts.

.I only buy 2 kinds of batting..Quilter's Dream Poly Select and Hobbs 80/20. in queen size roll. Shipping is 5 to 10 days so I usually wait until I am down to 3 yards of each before ordering.

I have a metal shelving unit on each side of a window, that hold my fabric.
    The batting is on a metal pole between each shelving unit, in front of the window, held up by a shelf on each side.
    I sure hope that makes sense.
    That way, when I need some, I can just unroll a length of batting
    If I want to store another, I put another pole on a higher shelf.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

I would LOVE to have the space and a way to hang them on the wall and just unroll what I need as I go.

There's a guest bedroom near my quilting room, and it has a large closet. I store my big rolls of batting there. Packaged batting goes on top of the shelving units in the quilting room.

Like MamaGrande I store mine in the corner of the spare bedroom, no room in my sewing room for them lol.

I once saw someone who kept her roll of batting on her extra shower curtain rod in the spare bathroom! She took it down and put the shower curtain up when overnight company was expected. I thought what a great idea! I have a small apt and a huge roll of batting that I have safety-pinned an old sheet around and it's in my storage closet.
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Two rolls of batting fit on the batting bar of my 10' Avante. Before I got the Avante, I put the roll on end in one of those plastic milk cartons and put it in an out of the way corner. Wasn't ideal, but it worked. Now that I'm thinking about it, how about a vertical pole attached at the floor and ceiling or even attached to the wall? Someone's handy husband could figure it out.
    "A home without books is a body without a soul." -- Cicero

Blog Entries
    I made two very large drawstring bags from ticking type fabric. I can fit 2 rolls of batting in each one. For batting scraps I have a couple of zip top totes from the $2.00 shop.

I had my batting (on a roll) hanging from the ceiling above the table that I pin basted my quilts. I stored my extra rolls under my bed. I don't quilt for anybody anymore but that is what I did when I did quilt for others.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My longarm batting bar can hold two rolls of batting and my frame is only 10'. Additional rolls I lean in the corner.

I keep my large batting rolled in a tablecloth at the foot of my sewing table. My table is large and about 4' deep. I admire anyone who has the room to let them hang. I have a friend that keeps her batting rolls standing up in her spare guest bathtub.

I buy the bulk size from Joann and cut a vertical slit so the batting will roll out the slit while standing up. The box stands up in a corn of a spare bedroom.
    Dianne

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    DH built me a large storage cabinet. 6'hx3'wx2'd and 14" shelf spacing. Right now I have batting in the top shelf in opened plastic bags and also on top of the cabinet.

I store a roll of batting on the batting rail of my longarm. I cut the box open the long way and use it as a cover over the batting(open side down) and keep track of how much I cut off on the cardboard. The count is probably not exact but close enough so I know how much is left on the roll.
    Sally

I have the one I use up in the rafters of my basement as they are open. I found an extra closet rod (metal) laying around from somewhere else in the house and added some brackets to the rafters/joists and have it hanging at one end of my cutting table so all I have to do is pull what I need down and cut it right there. My extra roll is still in its plastic wrap leaning against the back wall of my full bathroom down in the basement. Its out of the way. Any cutoffs from after quilting I put onto a hanger with a note which type of batting it is. Once I have enough pieces I use the batting tape to combine the pieces into one piece and add a note to tell me what the size is at that time.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I store 3 rolls (48 in. wide) under my quilting table on the rod made for batting storage, another 3 on a roll around batting rack that stands behind my cutting table so I can easily roll the batting onto the cutting table. I made the batting rack years ago out of lumber and pvc pipe. It's a 3 tier rack that I keep a roll of natural 80/20, a bleached 80/20 and a poly roll on. Then I have a metal rack that holds 2 rolls of king size, one natural 80/20 and one poly. It also has wheels so I can roll it from the garage into the basement as needed. Then a shelf in the garage holds cartons of black and bleached packages.

How did you hang them from the ceiling? This might work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I had my batting (on a roll) hanging from the ceiling above the table that I pin basted my quilts. I stored my extra rolls under my bed. I don't quilt for anybody anymore but that is what I did when I did quilt for others.
    How did you hang them from the ceiling? This might work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    ...Any cutoffs from after quilting I put onto a hanger with a note which type of batting it is. Once I have enough pieces I use the batting tape to combine the pieces into one piece and add a note to tell me what the size is at that time.
    I like your hanger idea. My laundry room is right off the quilting studio, and I have space to hang extras there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    I store 3 rolls (48 in. wide) under my quilting table on the rod made for batting storage, another 3 on a roll around batting rack that stands behind my cutting table so I can easily roll the batting onto the cutting table. I made the batting rack years ago out of lumber and pvc pipe. It's a 3 tier rack that I keep a roll of natural 80/20, a bleached 80/20 and a poly roll on. Then I have a metal rack that holds 2 rolls of king size, one natural 80/20 and one poly. It also has wheels so I can roll it from the garage into the basement as needed. Then a shelf in the garage holds cartons of black and bleached packages.
    That's a LOT of batting!!!

I would love to be able to hang batting on a rod but that isn't possible for me. I do buy it on a roll so I purchased one of those utility buckets like they sell at Lowes and Home Depot and I just put them into the bucket and stand it in a corner. The bucket keeps the bottom clean and prevents them from falling over.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I have a couple large rolls of 100% cotton warm and natural. I keep them standing up in our closet, in the corners.
    Go forth and sew!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraM View Post
    That's a LOT of batting!!!
    LOL I am a professional machine quilter and sell batting to my wonderful customers!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bobbielinks, can you send a pic of your carts/shelves? I heard at a long arm guild meeting about using the rolling base of an old office chair that you take the chair off of and slip a PVC pipe over the left-over post, then slip the bat roll over the PVC pipe. That way you can move it and it doesn't take as much space, but I can't figure out how to get the hydraulic assemble off the chair post! Duh! I don't like putting bat on the bat bar under the frame, have to stand on my head to get it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast