Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes. >

2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:32 AM

Question 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

I have been quilting for about a year, making mostly lap quilts. I am beginning to collect quite a few batting scraps of various sizes that I plan to sew together to re-use.

I'm beginning to feel swamped in batting. They are taking up a LOT of my room in my storage closet. Any ideas on how to corral all of that? I can hardly get in there anymore.

My second question is: Since I make mostly lap quilts, I really don't know what size to by in batting.

There seems to be no batting size for the varying lap-quilt sizes. I'm only finding crib-size, standard/queen, king.

So I have to but 2 crib sizes together, or cut up the others...giving me lots of odds and ends of batting.

Anyone know where I can buy just lap-quilt sizes..or anything close to them? The crib is usually around 46 inches wide and most of mine are 48, 51, 53, 56, etc. in widths.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:49 AM

You might want to sew your batting scraps, assuming they are the same kind, together to make a larger piece that will fold or roll up nicely and take up less space. If they're already sewn together, you'll be more likely to use them.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 AM

i have a lot of scrap batting pieces as well but find piecing them together to be really tedious after awhile. I started buying batting from a roll when it is on sale and like that a lot better.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:55 AM

Since most of my quilts are lap size, I usually buy twin size batting (about 72 x 90").

As for storing "scraps" of batting. I measure them, roll them tightly, and use masking tape to hold the roll together -- I mark the size on the masking tape. I store them in plastic storage containers (or large boxes), with a list of the sizes in the box. When I use a piece, I mark that off my list. I don't save scraps smaller than 12 x 12".
Old 10-19-2013, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Instead of buying pre-cuts, you might want to consider buying batting by the yard to avoid so many odd off-cut sizes.

When I have larger pieces, I measure and fold back up, with a label as to the size. If it's an odd shape (eg. L-shaped) I leave it as is, and include a sketch, with the measurements of all the sides. Then when I shop my batting stash, I know what is there waiting. Just be sure to include what kind it is along with the quilting distance.

For storage, I have one of those huge trunk-like Rubbermaid totes ... but it always seems to be overflowing. So am now considering other options, though it may just be a 2nd tote!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I always buy my batts queen size and cut them the size I need. I zig zag my batting scraps together and use them for placemats, table runners/toppers and pot holders. I usually have about 4 extra batts on hand and just store them in the closet.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:14 AM

I use my scraps continuously ... when I finish a project I trim and sew the trimmings into a larger single piece. That way I am more inclined to use it. When I did not have much storage space I would use the super sized zip loc bags for storing the pieces, compressing the air out as I sealed. I know some use the space bags , that you vacuum the air out.
As for how to purchase. .. if you make a lot of quilts having a roll is quite handy. If you don't produce too many buy it by the yard when its on sale. Maybe buy enough for three quilts at a time.
From what you said it sounds like you need to make use of your trimmings before you accumulate so many. I like to keep my battings to one or two types , this makes the reuse of trimmings much easier.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I knew this wonderful group would be able to help.

I felt a 'duh' moment when I read that I should be sewing my scraps together as I accumulate them. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that...thus my 'duh'...LOL

So far, I 've just been keeping them in cardboard boxes with all kinds of scraps of them in there.

Thanks for all the other tips as well.

Now, I'm getting off here and go do something about that stash.

Many thanks,
Dray
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 AM

Ugh, leftover batting is taking over one of my fabric closets and I cannot stand it! I've cut and zig zagged so many pieces together, but I hate it. I don't know why I love piecing quilts so much but detest piecing batting. One day I am ready to throw it all out and just admit that I'm not thrifty when it comes to batting and then next my guilt takes over and I realize I'm lucky to have such problems, so I just let the pieces multiply and keep the closet door closed.

Sorry, I realize my rant isn't helpful, but goodness it felt nice to let that out a bit. Thanks and carry on!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I always buy my batts queen size and cut them the size I need. I zig zag my batting scraps together and use them for placemats, table runners/toppers and pot holders. I usually have about 4 extra batts on hand and just store them in the closet.
I too always buy a queen size batting when I am stocking up. I have usuable scraps for bags, totes, wall hangings etc.