Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes. >

2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM
pw6

use the scraps on coasters, placemats, small items, I store my leftovers in large fabric laundry baskets on rollers and then bag them for my sister to use in stuffed animals.. but I find I use a lot up when I need to add a price on. I do not buy by the batting except ny the 30 yard rolls and buy 2 to 4 at a time..

I cut off the size I need on each quilt, you waste a few inches each time but I use them later somewhere.. good luck
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM

I buy batting by the yard and then store it rolled on a tube, that I got from the fabric store. I cover it with a plastic bag with a twist tie on the end. I pin a small piece of paper to a corner with the amount left on the piece. If the batting was purchased in a bag, it goes back in the bag, with a paper telling it's size pinned on a corner. The bags of batting sit on top of an open shelving unit in my sewing room, next to my rolls of fusible and Sew Stable. It's nice to have extra so you don't have to go to the store to buy more for a smaller project.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I too always buy a queen size batting when I am stocking up. I have usuable scraps for bags, totes, wall hangings etc.
At a recent quilt show I discovered the best solution to all those pieces of batting sitting in my closet - Batting Seam Tape by Bosal. You just iron it on to the two piece of batting you want to join together. Start with a nice clean edge on each piece of batting and it works great. On Quilting-Warehouse.com you can get it for $4.49 a roll. Well worth the cost and much quicker than sewing the pieces together.