Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your batting

Blog Entries
    Where do you store your batting ? I have big rolls and lots lots of cut off pieces ,that I put together for other quilts. I am over run w/pieces need some storage tips . Help!!!!

I stand the big rolls up on end in my sewing area and the pieces are in a tote.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    will follow this. I've never bought a roll. Whole pieces are in their original bags with some shoved behind cutting table, and more in our guest bath "pantry." Cut pieces are scattered in the linen cupboard, under my cutting table, in the storage room... Rolls would be the best, but even if I hung them on a dowel, I have no space for such a thing. Shoving them into nooks and crannies seems to be working for me. lol...

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I fold mine up and keep it in one of my sewing cupboards, usually in a bag so it doesn't attract lint or threads. I usually only buy what I need for a project though, so I don't have tons laying around. I do have lots of scraps however, which I keep in old batting bags or grocery bags in my sewing cupboard. Not the most organized system, but it works for me!

Just a suggestion - I thought many times about tossing some of my batting scraps because I wouldn't make enough items that small to use them, but then I discovered a trapunto technique that really helps use them up while adding dimension to my quilts. It's all done on your sewing machine before you even layer your quilt, no stuffing required. I learned from visiting Patsy Thompsons blog, and she even has a few instructional videos on YouTube if you're interested. :)

I pin a tag with the dimensions to the leftover piece of batting so that I can quickly see if I can use it with another project. I hang the decent sized pieces over hangers in my sewing room closet so that I remember to look there before opening a new package.

Blog Entries
    I have an old baby play pen. It holds quite a few rolls and the rest is being used.

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    Just a suggestion - I thought many times about tossing some of my batting scraps because I wouldn't make enough items that small to use them, but then I discovered a trapunto technique that really helps use them up while adding dimension to my quilts. It's all done on your sewing machine before you even layer your quilt, no stuffing required. I learned from visiting Patsy Thompsons blog, and she even has a few instructional videos on YouTube if you're interested. :)
    That sounds interesting. Could you put up a link?

Blog Entries
    Please don't laugh, but this works for me. I had DH put 2 heavy duty cuphooks in the ceiling, got chain, small & strong, a piece of plastic pipe. Run the chain thru the plastic pipe, slide on the tube of batting, Hubby on one side, me on other, up to the ceiling it goes and hook chain into cuphooks. I have 4 rolls on my ceiling, clean and out of the way.

I roll up my yardage then I run it through 5 hanger centers and hang up in the top of the closet in my sewing room. Smaller pieces I roll together and keep inside vinyl zipper bags that bedding comes in. I have a nice size round tube shaped vinyl bag that a mattress topper came in that works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    Please don't laugh, but this works for me. I had DH put 2 heavy duty cuphooks in the ceiling, got chain, small & strong, a piece of plastic pipe. Run the chain thru the plastic pipe, slide on the tube of batting, Hubby on one side, me on other, up to the ceiling it goes and hook chain into cuphooks. I have 4 rolls on my ceiling, clean and out of the way.
    Never thought of that for the rolls. Have to go to town today will get some pulleys. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    That sounds interesting. Could you put up a link?
    http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/blog/

Since I only have a 2 bedroom townhome and not enough space ... I keep my roll of batting under my bed with garbage bags around it to keep it dust free. This meant I had to put my bed on risers. Luckily I am not too short to get into bed now. I have a blanket chest at the foot of the bed so no one knows what under the bed if I don't tell them.

Since my bed is now a bit higher I have some wheeled baskets I bought years ago [they were for storage of kids toys] also under the bed and they hold the pieces of batting that was not used.

Yes, I do sew my batting together for some quilts. Usually the charity quilts as that is what we do in that group anyway.

ali

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I stand the big rolls up on end in my sewing area and the pieces are in a tote.
    this is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    Hi Hobo,

What an amazing and clever solution! Never thought of this. I would like to comment that I would make sure to cover the rolls of batting. I would have at the very minimum a cover of cotton muslin to keep dust and dirt off. It may also help protect the batting with having a covering of plastic over the cotton cover. The plastic could be clamped together with simple small office binder clamps.

Pam M

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    In a hamper with a lid on it, keeps the kitty out :)

Blog Entries
    I fold mine up and keep it in one of my sewing cupboards, usually in a bag so it doesn't attract lint or threads. I usually only buy what I need for a project though, so I don't have tons laying around. I do have lots of scraps however, which I keep in old batting bags or grocery bags in my sewing cupboard. Not the most organized system, but it works for me!

Thanks so much for your suggestion about visiting this site. I just watched the 2-part video for trapunto and know I will be trying it soon.

As for my batting, so far I am still using the first piece. I always save fabric scraps sorted to size in zip lock bags and will be doing the same with the batting scraps. I have left the whole pieces in their original bags until I'm ready to use them.

I buy four yards or so at a time and roll it like a carpet. Then I stick it on top of whatever is on the shelf above the clothes rack in my closet. It's out of reach, but I can get to it if I stand on a stool.

Looks like Sadiemae beat me to it, thank you for putting up the link to Patsy's blog. She is such an inspiration to me, in addition to the trapunto she's also inspired me to experiment with hand dyeing.

Here's a link to Patsy's trapunto video on YouTube, Part One:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pumpkinp.../2/5_wgE74Mro4

Here is the link to Part Two:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pumpkinp.../1/uZracYi4ooI

If you click on her name you can go directly to her channel, these links just come from my favorites on YouTube. Hope that helps! So glad a few people found her as interesting as I did! :)

Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    will follow this. I've never bought a roll. Whole pieces are in their original bags with some shoved behind cutting table, and more in our guest bath "pantry." Cut pieces are scattered in the linen cupboard, under my cutting table, in the storage room... Rolls would be the best, but even if I hung them on a dowel, I have no space for such a thing. Shoving them into nooks and crannies seems to be working for me. lol...
    Sounds exactly like me....Even when I try to organize my batting it ends up back in a bag shoved under a table....

Blog Entries
    Pumpkinpatchquilter, that was an easy one. I love to look at Patsy Thompson's quilting! I wish I could afford some of her videos, but they are way too expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Pumpkinpatchquilter, that was an easy one. I love to look at Patsy Thompson's quilting! I wish I could afford some of her videos, but they are way too expensive for me.
    ;) I adore her designs as well! I haven't bought any of her videos, only read through her blog and watched some of her videos on YouTube, but if ever she does a seminar in the area I would love to see her.

Blog Entries
    Large roll is on a cardboard tube from JoAnn's - stands in corner behind door in sewing room.
    Smaller pieces get folded or rolled, stuffed into vacuum seal bag, air sucked out with vacuum sealer, sealed & size marked on edge of bag. Perhaps it should be allowed to 'breathe', but this works for me & cuts some of the of volume batting space would occupy. I use my vacuum sealer for many things in addition to freezing wild game. :+)

I usually buy 2/25yd rolls that are kept under my quilting table(they are 45" wide)if I cut some off from the side I use it in the next quilt, if I can. My friends have used some of the smaller pieces in rag quilts, the rest I store in a big bag.

I think this is an excellent idea...lucky you!

LOL my big roll of warm and natural is in the box, which is on my son's old skateboard when it was new and heavy I would roll it over to the table. Now easy to lift, also about 5 years ago, basement where I sew flooded, so it is up, but we have done some work to hopefully prevent another flood, and everything is up off ground now. I have bit plastic container for pieces and always am stitching them together for smaller projects.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast