Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your batting >

How do you store your batting

How do you store your batting

Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Pumpkinpatchquilter, that was an easy one. I love to look at Patsy Thompson's quilting! I wish I could afford some of her videos, but they are way too expensive for me.
;) I adore her designs as well! I haven't bought any of her videos, only read through her blog and watched some of her videos on YouTube, but if ever she does a seminar in the area I would love to see her.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM

Large roll is on a cardboard tube from JoAnn's - stands in corner behind door in sewing room.
Smaller pieces get folded or rolled, stuffed into vacuum seal bag, air sucked out with vacuum sealer, sealed & size marked on edge of bag. Perhaps it should be allowed to 'breathe', but this works for me & cuts some of the of volume batting space would occupy. I use my vacuum sealer for many things in addition to freezing wild game. :+)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 PM

I usually buy 2/25yd rolls that are kept under my quilting table(they are 45" wide)if I cut some off from the side I use it in the next quilt, if I can. My friends have used some of the smaller pieces in rag quilts, the rest I store in a big bag.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 PM

I think this is an excellent idea...lucky you!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 AM

LOL my big roll of warm and natural is in the box, which is on my son's old skateboard when it was new and heavy I would roll it over to the table. Now easy to lift, also about 5 years ago, basement where I sew flooded, so it is up, but we have done some work to hopefully prevent another flood, and everything is up off ground now. I have bit plastic container for pieces and always am stitching them together for smaller projects.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 AM

On rolls, standing in a corner
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
will follow this. I've never bought a roll. Whole pieces are in their original bags with some shoved behind cutting table, and more in our guest bath "pantry." Cut pieces are scattered in the linen cupboard, under my cutting table, in the storage room... Rolls would be the best, but even if I hung them on a dowel, I have no space for such a thing. Shoving them into nooks and crannies seems to be working for me. lol...
Hey!!!! You stole my storage technique!!! I have some stacked on my cutting table because I can't find a place to put it; got it on sale.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
Where do you store your batting ? I have big rolls and lots lots of cut off pieces ,that I put together for other quilts. I am over run w/pieces need some storage tips . Help!!!!
I have rolls also. Store them and pieces in my spare bedroom closet. There is a reward for having multiple children. You have all those lovely vacant bedrooms and closets when they move out.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 AM

I am still in the UFO stage mostly, what little batting I have purchased is stored with other quilting stuff in my van. If I get stranded, at least I will stay warm.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 AM

I purchase batting by the yard off the roll. Keep it rolled on a clean shelf and cut the yardage I need when needed. What's not used for the quilt I'm working on I cut into blocks for "Quilt as you go projects". Works great for me.