Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How Do You Store Your Thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-your-thread-t236899.html)

cricket_iscute 12-18-2013 01:09 PM

I like the Super Satchels boxes by Art Bin. They stack well and are sturdy. They have handles and secure latches and can easily be picked up and moved. I use both the smaller and bigger ones. I can use the smaller ones for regular size threads and the big ones for cones, and I can also use the big ones for a collection of threads of one type, etc. I have thread separated by types first: cotton, polyester, rayon, specialty threads. Then by either warm or cool. This works well to keep out dirt and dust and it's fast and easy to find the color I need. I am slowly replacing my snapware containers, which are a great size but way too flimsy. I keep the thread boxes on wire shelves in my sewing room.

sharin'Sharon 12-18-2013 01:16 PM

I now have several clear plastic thread spool boxes (stacked) purchased at the fabric shop. Years ago, before I had 1/4 of what I have now, I took a 15" square piece of plywood; placed a smooth floor thin underlayment piece on top of that and pounded headless nails into the boards, spacing them accordingly for the large and small spools. I didn't like that they caught dust and also took up a lot of space but it worked. I have purchased plastic cases for my embroidery thread (now need another one) -- chuckle

tropit 12-18-2013 01:41 PM

I would love to find a storage solution that isn't plastic. Something natural, tactile and beautiful, not to mention practical.

Carol34446 12-18-2013 02:50 PM

I have plastic holders I bought at Wal Mart. When I needed more (it is very dusty in here with the animals and sugar sand) and WM didn't carry them, I got two from connecting threads like Jackie said, and they were not expensive and these are double sided. Work great and I taped paper telling what colors are in each one for sewing, embroidery and quilting. Use plastice totes from WM for material and go through it occasionally to air it.

GEMRM 12-18-2013 04:11 PM

I currently have one of the double sided plastic thread cases from Connecting Threads. It is full, so I have resorted to small plastic bags that will hold two spools, and the accompanying bobbins. I cut the thread colour label off the plastic wrap from the spool. By putting two contrasting colours in one bag, I can be sure that the colour (eg "midnight blue") is the correct name for that colour because the other one (eg Goldenrod) is definitely yellow. This helps when I want to reorder a particular colour. I don't have to guess.
My long term plan is to make some sort of insert for my desk drawer with either golf tees or dowelling or nails to hold the spools in a staggered pattern, with enough height for the bobbin to fit on as well. Then I intend to cut out the label and using a paper punch, put a hole through the middle and put it on the post before the bobbin and thread spool.

RugosaB 12-18-2013 04:46 PM

I keep my quilting thread in plastic boxes, marked with the type inside- one being marked USED. For these used spools, I stand it up, I hook it's bobbin, if there was any thread left on it, to it with a golf tee
That's all the thread I bought specifically for quilting.

My all purpose thread is kept in a drawer.

quiltinghere 12-18-2013 05:18 PM

All of my threads are in drawers.

Sewing machine threads are in a Sterilite 4 (or 5) drawer unit sorted by color groups (say blues and greens, yellows to red, etc).

My longarm threads are in dresser drawers sorted by type of thread or manufacturer.

This way all the threads are out of the light and out of sight. :thumbup:

Nan - Indiana

deplaylady 12-18-2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 6462913)
This is what I have now. They're nice! I'm going to have to repair the one I stepped on and broke the handle. I'll have to watch the sales at CT.

I have some of those too - although at the moment some of the thread has been moved to a box because my DGD has confiscated the box to store her My Little Ponies in. At least the ponies are not all all over the place now.

QM 12-19-2013 01:29 AM

I have 2 dresser drawers devoted to threads. One for plain and one for variegated. In my previous (larger) sewing area, I had a double layer shelf above the 2 windows. I liked that better, but this does work.

quiltmom04 12-19-2013 05:46 AM

I put the spool and the matching bobbin in a little zip lock bag I got in the jewelry section of Michael's. It's like 2"x3" I think. The cone threads and bobbins I keep in a zip lock sandwich bag. Then I have a tub for the warm colors ( red, yellow, orange) and one for cool colors ( blue, green, purple) and a smaller container for neutrals (white, grey, beige, black). The containers fit in my cabinet, and this system works for me. It doesn't keep them on display, but for me, is easily accessible.