Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Store Your Thread?

How Do You Store Your Thread?

Back in the old days, before I started quilting, I had a wooden board that hung on the wall with pegs on it for each spool. It held about 20 spools of thread. Now...well, now....I just have too much thread to deal with. I really like the thread tote that I bought from a popular, online quilting shop. (However, I just stepped on the handle and broke it...wah!!!) Before I go out and buy a new thread tote or try to fix this one, I thought I'd ask ya'll how you store your thread. Ideas please.

~ Cindy

I have the two sided plastic box that's like the old matchbox box. I also use some decorative tin boxes.

Blog Entries
    I have plastic boxes I bought in the fishing tackle department of WalMart that have dividers that help keep the spools organized. It keeps the dust off the thread and they are semi-clear so I can see what colors are in them before I open them up.
    Wendy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use the rubber band method by having the bobbin thread of same color attached. Slip rubber band through the bobbin and out about 1/2", then larger loop through small loop and back around the spool. I keep types of thread separated from each other also. Works for me. still fits on the pegs of the spool carrier.

I have those thread racks that you can take the pegs out if the spools are larger than normal. I think it's called the thread arranger.

I have 3 of the clear thread boxes from Connecting Threads that hold 48 spools of thread each and have handles, and open from either side. They are great and I got them on sale!!

I use zip loc bags for thread and bobbins of the same color. I keep all the bags in a large basket on my sewing room floor.

I have those thread racks that you can take pegs out of whenever required.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I used to use the thread racks but I didn't like the way my thread got dusty over time. Now I use clear shoe box size boxes. I can see the thread for colors. I have different size and shape spools so this is a way to accommodate that too.

I put all in the top drawer of my sewing desk that way when I am sewing and run out of thread I just reach in and take out what I need

I have the June Tailor wall rack with pegs, and an old printer's drawer hanging on the wall. I don't have as much thread as I used to when I was making garments. I mostly use white, ecru, grey and black now.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

I used foam board and golf tees.I cut the foam board to fit my plastic drawers, glued the tees in upside down. Works great and didn't cost a lot!

I use a rolling cart with drawers.

I have one of the 3-drawer plastic storage units from Walmart that I keep my regular sewing thread in. For my embroidery thread I modified a drawer in my desk/sewing table and put pegboard in the bottom of the drawer with short dowels in the peg holes so my spools stand upright. I can't stand the dust and discoloration of thread hanging on the wall.
    Shirley in Arizona

I have a lot of large spools of thread for my embroidery machine. I have the drawer units from Walmart for the large spools, and a tall wire basket unit we got from Lows I keep my shorter spools in. I have a rotating rack I got from a craft store going out of business I keep regular sewing thread on pegs. I have a plastic thread case I got that fits the smaller Isacord spools that I carry with me for quilting and sewing away from home. I have a Madera thread treasure chest that was a gift. I use that when I need shiny thread. I do not need any more thread. It is like my stash. I need to use some of it up. But it seems that I end up using main colors and having to replace them.

I placed some rubbery shelf liner on top of some short bookcases and set my wooden thread racks on it. I then took a clear plastic bag that came from the dry cleaners, cut it open so it is one large "sheet" of plastic and secured one long side behind the top of the thread racks. The plastic hangs over and down the front of the thread. I can easily see what color of threads I have and they are kept dust free. (I have 3 or 4 of the thread racks all set along the tops of the bookcases and covered with the plastic)

I bought a CD cabinet that has sliding doors to hold thread and other LA supplies.

I store my thread in the drawers of an antique oak library card catalog cabinet. It looks great in my sewing room and it's easy to organize threads by color in all the little drawers.
    Miss Rita

Quote Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
    I store my thread in the drawers of an antique oak library card catalog cabinet. It looks great in my sewing room and it's easy to organize threads by color in all the little drawers.
    Oh...this idea stole my heart. How lovely?

~ Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I have 3 of the clear thread boxes from Connecting Threads that hold 48 spools of thread each and have handles, and open from either side. They are great and I got them on sale!!
    This is what I have now. They're nice! I'm going to have to repair the one I stepped on and broke the handle. I'll have to watch the sales at CT.

I like the Super Satchels boxes by Art Bin. They stack well and are sturdy. They have handles and secure latches and can easily be picked up and moved. I use both the smaller and bigger ones. I can use the smaller ones for regular size threads and the big ones for cones, and I can also use the big ones for a collection of threads of one type, etc. I have thread separated by types first: cotton, polyester, rayon, specialty threads. Then by either warm or cool. This works well to keep out dirt and dust and it's fast and easy to find the color I need. I am slowly replacing my snapware containers, which are a great size but way too flimsy. I keep the thread boxes on wire shelves in my sewing room.

I now have several clear plastic thread spool boxes (stacked) purchased at the fabric shop. Years ago, before I had 1/4 of what I have now, I took a 15" square piece of plywood; placed a smooth floor thin underlayment piece on top of that and pounded headless nails into the boards, spacing them accordingly for the large and small spools. I didn't like that they caught dust and also took up a lot of space but it worked. I have purchased plastic cases for my embroidery thread (now need another one) -- chuckle

I would love to find a storage solution that isn't plastic. Something natural, tactile and beautiful, not to mention practical.

I have plastic holders I bought at Wal Mart. When I needed more (it is very dusty in here with the animals and sugar sand) and WM didn't carry them, I got two from connecting threads like Jackie said, and they were not expensive and these are double sided. Work great and I taped paper telling what colors are in each one for sewing, embroidery and quilting. Use plastice totes from WM for material and go through it occasionally to air it.

I currently have one of the double sided plastic thread cases from Connecting Threads. It is full, so I have resorted to small plastic bags that will hold two spools, and the accompanying bobbins. I cut the thread colour label off the plastic wrap from the spool. By putting two contrasting colours in one bag, I can be sure that the colour (eg "midnight blue") is the correct name for that colour because the other one (eg Goldenrod) is definitely yellow. This helps when I want to reorder a particular colour. I don't have to guess.
    My long term plan is to make some sort of insert for my desk drawer with either golf tees or dowelling or nails to hold the spools in a staggered pattern, with enough height for the bobbin to fit on as well. Then I intend to cut out the label and using a paper punch, put a hole through the middle and put it on the post before the bobbin and thread spool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast