Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Ideas for windowless sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/ideas-windowless-sewing-room-t221138.html)

jude1040 05-10-2013 03:54 AM

I work in a basement so I have a wallpaper mural of a window looking out on a garden at the opposite end of the long sewing room (1/2) of basement. That way I can look up from sewing machine and see a lush green garden at the far end. Not as good as the real thing but it works. The mural is 6x8ft.

Bneighbor 05-10-2013 05:58 AM

How about a reclaimed window with curtains and an inspiring landscape or vacation poster behind it? Also, maybe putting one of those "light therapy" lamps behind it to mimic sunlight and reduce "cabin fever blues". Those lights are wonderful. They are used for producing a calming light that helps with depression. Not that quilting/sewing is depressing, but without natural light you may feel boxed in.

tessagin 05-10-2013 06:16 AM

How far is the closest window? I would make sure I could at least see out "a" window. I would get claustrophobic. I know many who cover their windows. I'm the wrong person to ask. thinking about it is giving me the squeeze. Put the boys in there and take their rooms.

rprue 05-10-2013 07:11 AM

Are you able to put in a skylight or solatube? Ours was $300 including install and the area is now light and bright. I do love natural light all day long!

vondae 05-10-2013 09:51 AM

You could make a faux window. We did that in a bedroom once & it did wonders for the brain. Tricks it into thinking there is one there. Also, you might add a plant or 2, with a grow light. Just an idea.

julie64 05-10-2013 12:26 PM

I think if you install mirrors, you will double the lighting you already have in the room. Put 4 of the same type mirrors together to give the idea of a window.

If you have to keep the treadmill and couch in there, maybe move the couch forward enough to put the treadmill behind it. Then put your sewing table (short side) against the wall by that 9 pane door so you aren't looking at the couch/treadmill. Does that make sense? Any how, hope this gives you some ideas. (Love the color of the walls by the way)

Skyangel 05-10-2013 02:30 PM

I made an attic windows quilt for my sister and made it look like a window looking out at the beach. In her case I made it into a roman shade to cover an actual window that looked out in an ugly, boxed in carport full of junk. You can make yourself a scene of whatever you want to "see outside".

Eva Knight 05-10-2013 02:45 PM

Maybe add some large mirrors. Go to the thrift store and get the mirror that goes to a dresser and paint the frame.

nygal 05-10-2013 02:50 PM

I also LOVE the paint color!! Good lighting of course is a MUST.

quiltinghere 05-10-2013 03:08 PM

I run the basement with my quilting! Hahaha! With one or two small windows, I chose to use two 4' 'daylight' bulbs fluorescent units. Helps tremendously. IF I turn on one 'soft white' bulb just for a few seconds to see something in the dark, I can really see the ugly difference.

My walls are off white fabric and I have a mirror with a dresser...but may add more now that several of you have mentioned the way mirrors reflect light.

Nan - IN

e.t.a - consider task lights in daylight bulbs. floor models and desk models are available.