Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for windowless sewing room

Ideas for windowless sewing room

Does anyone have any suggestions for a windowless den that I plan to convert into my sewing space?

i have three young sons, my home is over ran by baby gear, transformers and Legos! I need a space that it mine!

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/Galleries/gallery19c.htm

why not make your own windows. You could overlook the ocean or the mountains or basically anywhere. Al so, get really good lighting for your room.

This is my space now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I noticed you have a ledge above your sofa -- how about installing open shelves, first on the shelf and then up the wall all the way to the top? It would be a great place to put fabrics, books, plants, etc. You could also put some inexpensive glass against the wall first to reflect light behind everything you'll have on the shelves if you wanted. I'd go with 'hopetoquilts' great idea for the wall across from your sewing machine. If you found a large window that has multi panes (glass separated by dividers like your door has) then you could put pictures of whatever behind the glass -- whether beach, woods, countryside, flowers, animals, etc....just things YOU love. Then I'd take it one step further and install a cornice board on the top and hang a drapery on each side (with a topper along the top of the window), which of course you could make from your favorite fabrics (or hang a couple of quilts as drapes on each side). You could do a lot with the room for storage, and still make it totally yours for your quilting. A track light system on the ceiling would be wonderful (you could wire it from the existing light source and have lots more light) where you point the lights where you want. Point 1-2 lights on the 'window', on the shelving and of course, down, so you have lots of light for your sewing area. Love the green on the walls and the wood flooring looks super!
    Last edited by DebbE; 05-09-2013 at 06:54 PM.

You appear to have adequate lighting but I would put more to get rid of the shadows. Do you like the color of the paint? If not what is your favorite color? I know why paint but in order to make this your space you might have to choose another color. What about a cutting table with storage? Make sure it is the right height to avoid fatique. As suggested, fake window or posters would help. Wall hangings and mementos in your favorite colors. Does the sofa and exercise equipment have to be stored in this room? This is your woman cave make it your own. I am retired now but I remember when I had young children I despertly needed space to call my own. Ask yourself what you want to make this space yours.

Power Poster
    No window means you can store your fabric without worrying about fading. No window means more space for a big design wall and floor to ceiling shelving units. I would move the sofa to the short wall where you currently have your sewing chair. This would give you the L shaped section of the room to make your own. A nice shelving unit with doors will store your fabric and supplies. Make sure you get one with handles that you can put a cupboard lock though to keep the kiddos out of your tools and stuff. The top of the unit can hold quilt batts on top of it. More of the foam mats mounted into the wall alcove would make a design wall that you could pin into. Use the double stick command strips or sticky Velcro strips if you don't want it to be permanent.

Love, love, LOVE the paint color! Very bright and happy! I like DebbE's idea of putting shelves above the ledge by your sofa. Another idea (but it means sacrificing wall/storage space) is to get a really big mirror to lean on the ledge to make the space feel even more open. It's a great space, have fun making it yours!

Like onetomatoplant I would suggest a large mirror to reflect light
    Sheena

Blog Entries
    NL quilter, I had the same problem in a bathroom. What I did was buy a mirror the size of a small window. After I hung it I hung up curtains around my new "window". Gives the room more light and even my DH says it looks really nice.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Blog Entries
    Make an attic windows quilt! That way you can create your own view. I like the idea of using mirrors too, as discussed above. While I like the windows in my room, I think music is even more important - I can concentrate on sewing better with soft music in the room - who has time to look out the windows?
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I work in a basement so I have a wallpaper mural of a window looking out on a garden at the opposite end of the long sewing room (1/2) of basement. That way I can look up from sewing machine and see a lush green garden at the far end. Not as good as the real thing but it works. The mural is 6x8ft.

How about a reclaimed window with curtains and an inspiring landscape or vacation poster behind it? Also, maybe putting one of those "light therapy" lamps behind it to mimic sunlight and reduce "cabin fever blues". Those lights are wonderful. They are used for producing a calming light that helps with depression. Not that quilting/sewing is depressing, but without natural light you may feel boxed in.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    How far is the closest window? I would make sure I could at least see out "a" window. I would get claustrophobic. I know many who cover their windows. I'm the wrong person to ask. thinking about it is giving me the squeeze. Put the boys in there and take their rooms.

Are you able to put in a skylight or solatube? Ours was $300 including install and the area is now light and bright. I do love natural light all day long!

Blog Entries
    You could make a faux window. We did that in a bedroom once & it did wonders for the brain. Tricks it into thinking there is one there. Also, you might add a plant or 2, with a grow light. Just an idea.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    I think if you install mirrors, you will double the lighting you already have in the room. Put 4 of the same type mirrors together to give the idea of a window.

If you have to keep the treadmill and couch in there, maybe move the couch forward enough to put the treadmill behind it. Then put your sewing table (short side) against the wall by that 9 pane door so you aren't looking at the couch/treadmill. Does that make sense? Any how, hope this gives you some ideas. (Love the color of the walls by the way)
    Julie64

I made an attic windows quilt for my sister and made it look like a window looking out at the beach. In her case I made it into a roman shade to cover an actual window that looked out in an ugly, boxed in carport full of junk. You can make yourself a scene of whatever you want to "see outside".

Maybe add some large mirrors. Go to the thrift store and get the mirror that goes to a dresser and paint the frame.

I also LOVE the paint color!! Good lighting of course is a MUST.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I run the basement with my quilting! Hahaha! With one or two small windows, I chose to use two 4' 'daylight' bulbs fluorescent units. Helps tremendously. IF I turn on one 'soft white' bulb just for a few seconds to see something in the dark, I can really see the ugly difference.

My walls are off white fabric and I have a mirror with a dresser...but may add more now that several of you have mentioned the way mirrors reflect light.

Nan - IN

e.t.a - consider task lights in daylight bulbs. floor models and desk models are available.
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I am goin to have to shop around for some mirrors and storage.

Does your sewing room have an outside wall with an area where electrical wires and plumbing wouldn't be in the way of adding a big window? We added windows to either side of one of our fireplaces because there weren't any. I felt like a mushroom until we added them.

Can you pull the sofa forward so that the back is making your fourth wall? Then you could reach the shelves you're going to put there.

Hobby Lobby did have some mirrors that were framed up like windows. I bought one for my utility room.

When we built our house, the contractor suggested adding hidden florescent lighting above the kitchen cabinets to cast light up towards the ceiling. I didn't think I would use this feature much, but it is my preferred lighting. We have north-facing windows, and in the summer with the trees fully leafed out, it can be very dark. I like to turn the florescents on as primary lighting instead of the can lights until I need task lighting for something like chopping vegetables. Now you can buy strips of LED lighting and do the same thing.
    Elizabeth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast