Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Last Will anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/last-will-anyone-t199387.html)

MaryLane 01-19-2013 02:45 PM

My aunt died unexpectedly in October. She lived in Pennsylvania. My uncle came to Indiana to be with the family at Christmas. He loaded his vehicle as full as he could and told us to take what we wanted. He insisted we take everything because he would rather we have it than the GW or the dump.

He did sell her machines and some of her fabric.

I felt like such a ghoul. But I understood what he was doing. So, I "helped" him out.

My husband knows if I died unexpectedly to first let my DILs have what they want. I taught them both to sew and helped them get machines. Then he is to call my sisters and my aunt. They will take care of it all for him.

glrybee 01-22-2013 06:46 AM

The quilters last will is here:
http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml

vicsue 02-12-2013 09:10 AM

a guareenteed way to preserve your love of quilting would be to leave your supplies to a local senior center so others will be able to learn your craft and create their own. senior centers also make gifts for homeless and hospitalized citizens.

michelleoc 02-12-2013 12:40 PM

My husband and I recently discussed this when we were doing our wills and our trust. I specified in the trust what should go to each friend that I know would benefit from/enjoy my stash and machines.

Pilgrim 02-12-2013 09:49 PM

We lost a couple of members in our guild this year. Their fabric was donated to the guild and at our last meeting we made quilts for various organizations our guild supports.

Nerys 07-14-2013 08:25 AM

I was looking for information on this and found it very interesting to read as to what other people posted on this.

romanojg 07-15-2013 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by roserips (Post 5488020)
One of my grand daughters informed me that when I expire (she informed me that was a nicer way of saying it) she plans on getting all of my machines, fabrics, quilts she wants it all including the house to hold everything! Me I am not going to worry about it but enjoy teaching the children to sew and sharing my love of creating with them.

This sounds so much like my daughter. We were just talking about this and I told her that I knew she'd have my sewing room locked down tight before anyone had a chance. Besides none of her brothers would want my sewing stuff. My 7yr old grandson gets my treadle machine along with my antique bedroom set; he's been in love with them sine he was 3. My daughter feels like she should also get the house. I wouldn't give it to the oldest 3, the 4th one wouldn't take care of it; too much of my ex in him and she's always wanted it and has lots of design plans for it. I did tell her that it would go to her and her kids so she's not getting the whole house, she has to share with her now 2 kids and if she has more they are included.

hopflower 07-15-2013 06:19 AM

You can will your goods to anyone or any organization you wish to: perhaps a local school for the sewing machines, or a Sewing Guild. Quilts and home projects can go to a cherished friend or relative. Once you start thinking about people you know,you will quickly decide who gets what.

cricket_iscute 07-19-2013 10:17 AM

I actually laid out the disposition of my sewing and quilting stuff in my will. I don't want DH to put it in a dumpster!

Sew Freak 05-25-2017 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by roserips (Post 5488020)
One of my grand daughters informed me that when I expire (she informed me that was a nicer way of saying it) she plans on getting all of my machines, fabrics, quilts she wants it all including the house to hold everything! Me I am not going to worry about it but enjoy teaching the children to sew and sharing my love of creating with them.

it sounds like we have the same granddaughter!!!!!!