Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Last Will anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/last-will-anyone-t199387.html)

NikkiLu 09-03-2012 07:22 PM

My very best friend of 45+ years passed away a year ago and she and I have sewed and quilted constantly the whole time we have known each other. We live about 5 miles apart in the country. I did not know exactly what she wanted done with her "stash" but she did have a daughter-in-law, granddaughter and a sister and a bunch of nieces. Oh yes, she had an entire bedroom FULL of fabric on the bolts in bookcases, etc. and then a basement where she had her longarm machine, rolls of batting, and fabric.

So, imagine my shock and horror when my DH and I went over there one day and her DH said that he had spent the past two days burning her fabric, etc. I actually thought I was going to be sick. Seems he did not like her family enough to share with them. But, I was able to get some fabric in plastic totes that were in her closet - guess that he did not know that it was fabric in them or he would have burned them too. I also got her books and when I asked about any of her paper patterns, etc. he said that he guessed that he had already burnt them. Really sad.

cathyvv 09-03-2012 07:34 PM

No dumpster, please! Donate the fabric/sewing machines, etc. to your local guild for charity quilts. they will be delighted to get it, and the needy will love the results.

cathyvv 09-03-2012 07:45 PM

What a selfish, spiteful man - or is he suffering from dementia? Even if he didn't want his wife's family to have the fabric and sewing gear, he could have donated it to charity or sold it.

owlvamp 09-03-2012 07:53 PM

Wow I never gave it any thought. I do have a daughter and sister who does most everything I do.

rush88888 09-04-2012 04:14 AM

it looks like giving it to friends and family comes in first, then charitable organizations and guilds and then sell everything. my partner and i share our love of quilting, but we have different tastes in fabric. so, i suppose i will do the same...friends and family is first. quilting friends could take what they would like to have, and the rest could go to their guilds. (i don't belong to a guild.) my partner and i certainly have to discuss this a little more in depth, i guess. thank you for bringing this dilemma into the foreground for me to ponder.

annthreecats 09-04-2012 04:33 AM

I don't have a lot of stuff, a few vintage machines and a little stash, but it all goes to my DD who is an only child. I told her to do what she wants with it. She likes to sew, but doesn't have a much of time for it. I imagine her donating some, selling some and keeping some of my things.

johans 09-04-2012 05:08 AM

My guild will know what to do. What's left after family goes through it will go to 1) the charity group I quilt with, then 2) St. Vincent DePaul store to be sold. I've shopped in there often enough to know that it will be appreciated by someone.

Gilly 09-04-2012 05:42 AM

I have 1 son, a daughter-in-law and a 3 year old grand daughter. I plan to teach my grand daughter to sew and quilt and embroider so she will get everything but if she is too young to care about my things my sister (who quilts) gets it-she has 2 daughters too that might be interested.
Talk to family to see who might want things.

MimiBug123 09-04-2012 07:48 AM

@ janegb-Is your avatar a Morse machine? I just got one and have to get busy cleaning and servicing it. It looks like a 57 Chevy!

CountryHouseQuilter 09-04-2012 08:00 AM

Now it's got me thinking. We've discussed it at our bi-weekly quilt meetings, but never really put anything in stone. And as far as DH is concerned, I would hope he would call upon my girlfriends to help out. My DD & DS aren't really interested in any of it, nor is my DDIL. I would call upon my girlfriend to take charge, take what she wants and let the rest of my quilt buddies go through the rest. I'm going to have to write down my request and give copies to my DS & DD, DH and friends. If my DH burnt my stuff I would be rolling in my grave....well, my ashes would be up in the wind!!!!