Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Look at my Murphy bed/design wall!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/look-my-murphy-bed-design-wall-t220966.html)

Sierra 05-18-2013 06:59 AM

We paid a nephew to make us a Murphy bed and bookcases to match. Then we moved! Every time we move and leave something to "enhance" the sell, it gets tossed. I insisted that we take our bed and book cases (floor to ceiling) with us... but our new apartment is simply too small. So, we put it in our daughters house as a guest bed and the bookcases fit also! Now it comes down when we visit (or when anyone visits). It was expensive, but probably has paid off for us in comfort and motel bills. And no, we don't freeload; our daughter has several kids, keeps her the family business books (accounts), home schools, and takes off to sail when possible (she addicted to tall ships and records the trips and the science projects) and we give her breaks by adventuring with the kids... a win-win situation.

I wonder 05-18-2013 07:27 AM

First of all I love your quilt and this is such a clever way to use Murphy bed! Great job!

Sandrea 05-18-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by himnherr (Post 6050570)
For the past 13 years I have shared my sewing space with our guest room. About 2 years ago I figured out that since we only have guests stay 2-3 times a year I could surely put that space to better use. My husband didn't want to give up having a "real" bed to offer, so he came up with this idea. He built me this Murphy bed and now I have room for guests & the rest of the time I have open space and a design wall that measures 62"x62". Pretty cool, huh!?!?

He isn't a "finish" carpenter but I think he did a great job. We ordered the mechanism online and he got busy. It lifts down so gently that I can do it by myself. The 2 outer handles become the legs.

I can't describe how exciting this has been for me. I couldn't wait to put my string quilt blocks on and now to rearrange them so there won't be big clumps of one color together. That's the beauty of a design wall, isn't it!? ;-)

I have a 5' table (folds in the middle) that I cut on that goes in front of Murphy and then moves over near my machine when I want to do quilting on my DSM.

Hi Himnher.....I did the same thing about 15 years ago. I couldn't see keeping a bed in the guest room for only a couple uses a year and I needed sewing room space. The only thing is, I tend to add more things, sewing table (2 of them) and a large cutting table and an extra dresser for sewing supplies and now when guests are coming to visit, I have to have hubby carry the extra furniture to the garage so we can put the Murphy Bed down, and then put it all back when the guests leave. LOL. But I really am so glad that we did the Murphy Bed thing. You and I can both agree, we have a wonderful sewing room after the bed is up in the wall. Tee Hee. So happy for you too!!!

Sandrea 05-18-2013 07:54 AM

Ooops, me again! I was reading some of the posts above and a lot of people asked about getting one built for them. I bought my Murphy Bed, already made, from a place called the Murphy Bed Store. It was white formica, to match my sewing cabinets and cutting table, all in white formica. It came in a set to cover a whole wall. On either side of the bed part, there is a beautiful built in wall of drawers and shelves and then the little space left on the end was perfect to add floor to ceiling shelving to organize all my sewing books etc. I just love it. We paid around $2800 for all of that (and that included the men coming and installing it), and it was so worth it!! It was absolutely worth every penny. But now that was about 15 years ago. I would think it may be more now, 15 yrs. later, but I would do it again at almost any price....because it was such a space saver and gave me a whole extra room, so to speak.

bepositive 05-18-2013 06:01 PM

GREAT idea!!! :) Happy Sewing!!

Mariposa 05-22-2013 06:12 PM

Terrific way to have your space, and for occasional guests! Happy sewing!

coastienest 05-23-2013 06:56 PM

I think you may have solved my guest room problem for me. Thanks for sharing

KSue 05-30-2013 07:52 PM

I love this idea. It looks great!

tinker 06-02-2013 11:25 AM

Please, show a close-up of the bracekets???? Thank you Tinker

StephT 06-04-2013 07:41 AM

What a great idea. Looks great.