Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Narrow base cabinets for craft room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/narrow-base-cabinets-craft-room-t232496.html)

Sandygirl 10-15-2013 03:47 AM

Narrow base cabinets for craft room

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to post this picture on another thread. It would not post so I thought that I would just start another thread...

When we remodeled our kitchen, we used TOP kitchen cabinets on the bottom in order to fit the narrow wall in a couple of areas. (There is a pantry door to the right) If I was dreaming of a sewing room re-do with kitchen cabinets, I would use TOP wall cabinets as the base cabinets. They take up less floor space and you really dont need the standard depth unless you plan on using a standard size counter top as a cutting area. If that was the case, then I would decide how long the cutting area would be and just "bump" that length out using standard base cabinets fir the cutting area. I find when there is too much depth for storage, it takes up too much floor space. The countertop can be customized to fit the various depths. Hmmmm....now to convince my hubby to get busy! LOL!

just use base cabinets where you see the dishwasher...yes, this is my kitchen...

Sandy

Nilla 10-15-2013 04:19 AM

That's a good idea. You could also have an overhang from your flat surface so you could stand right up against it. My cutting table has a slight overhang, maybe just 6 inches or so, but it allows me to get close without bumping my knees, like an island or a bar in a kitchen.

GailG 10-15-2013 04:26 AM

When we remodeled the kitchen, we brought one of the top cabinets to hang in the sewing room. It is loaded down with fabrics that had once been in storage containers.

giquilt 10-15-2013 04:33 AM

Great idea. My husband found a close out on Build-A-Bear furniture several years back, made great cutting/ironing table by putting the cabinets on bottom and drawers on top.

citruscountyquilter 10-16-2013 02:57 AM

We used upper cabinets to make a unit in our dining area. We stacked three upper cabinets on top of each other. The cabinets are of different height and the middle one has glass panels. We use the middle ones as a china cabinet and the top and bottom ones as storage. We used a 1x2 on the floor to give the cabinet some clearance for opening. We've had many compliments on the unit and people think it is a custom cabinet.

Jingle 10-16-2013 04:43 AM

I have base and upper cabinet in my sewing room. I have books and sewing supplies in the upper cabinets. I have the bases on the floor under them and a 90" countertop. I cut on one end and tabletop ironing board on other end. It works real well for me. Across from those I have two large closets with bi-fold doors. I have wire shelves in them, batting, and containers holding scraps. The cabinets with the standard bases are perfect for me.

raspberryparade09 10-17-2013 04:39 AM

Good idea - I'll keep in mind.

verna2197 10-17-2013 05:08 AM

I am trying it talk my dh into redoing my sewing room. We remodeled the kitchen and I wanted to use the old wall kitchen cabinets in there. He is going to purchase plywood and cut in half length wise ( it will be 2x8) then he will attach these together to make it 2x16, I will have these on 2 walls. He wants to, build shelves under this but I want the old kitchen cabinets, so we will just have to wait and see.. He will be sanding the plywood nice and smooth then all I want on it is shellac to make it nice and shiny, do not want any stain or color on it. I will take before and after shots so everyone can see the difference.

tessagin 10-17-2013 05:13 AM

Most of the people I know who are redoing their sewing rooms no matter the size of the room are doing them like kitchens.

mjhaess 10-17-2013 11:49 AM

Great idea....