Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Re-Doing Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/re-doing-sewing-room-t234952.html)

lots2do 12-28-2013 06:46 AM

Let us know how you made out. Did you find what you needed?

leighway 12-28-2013 07:23 AM

If you get cabinets, you might want to think about removing the inner half shelf that isn't very useful, except to make you lose items. And then buy the largest plastic multi-drawer unit that will fit inside the opening of the cabinet (I'm thinking there's usually a center bar, so this makes the unit you'd buy pretty narrow and small . Add this inside and you now have drawers, which are far more user friendly than leaning over, sliding out of your sewing chair and tipping yourself upside down to see inside the cabinet. I recently had two of my cabinets on either side of my stove modified from cabinets to 3 large drawers. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to pull out the drawer and see what's inside and easily retrieve it.

verna2197 12-28-2013 09:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
wow I have been trying to post this for 3 days now, hope it works this time. Really made out at the Salvage yard I am in drawer heaven. I do beleive that all of these came out of a bank, on account of the labels that were on the drawers. These cabinets are all solid wood, very very heavy is what DH says. Now just to get them all in where I want them and Dh is even going to get me some new coutertops.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453571[/ATTACH]love this fits in my little cubby perfectly

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453572[/ATTACH] all the rest of the drawers and cabinets we got

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453573[/ATTACH]Dh has started cleaning them, the top one is clean and the bottom is what they looked like when we got them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453576[/ATTACH]I saw on HGTV where they used OSB as a countertop, so I talked DH into doing this for me, he put a decorative cut on the very front then put about 3 layers of Shellac on it. It is smooth and nice and shiney but where he used the router no matter how much he sanded it, it still has some rough spots on it, so I am getting new countertops too. Awesome. Can't wait to post pics.

peachs 01-11-2014 11:21 AM

that's great! i'd love to see fotos when it's done!!!!! :) congrats on the great finds!

QweenBee 01-11-2014 01:46 PM

Trash to treasure!!

ube quilting 01-11-2014 03:07 PM

If you are considering lower cabinets for any part of the re- do, I would suggest using upper cabinets. They aren't as deep and you will have more open floor space. The shallower cabinets also offer better organization because things can't get lost in the back. Machines will fit and so will fabric folds and just about everything else you might want to store out of site. Good luck with your re- do.
peace

verna2197 01-20-2014 11:44 AM

still waiting on getting new countertops. just wanted to give you all an update.

verna

LAQUITA 01-23-2014 10:17 PM

It sounds like I have the same set up you have. Heres what we did For the support under the counter top we used unfinished cabinets. OneOne end the cabinets is all drawers, other end has one drawer with a cabinet underneath and then in the corner where they meet have a corner cabinet (no lazy susan) just a shelf in it.

My cutting table with either have shelves under it or be an old dresser. (we haven't gotten that far yet) :)
Be sure and post pic when you get it all set up please.

verna2197 01-23-2014 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA (Post 6531287)
It sounds like I have the same set up you have. Heres what we did For the support under the counter top we used unfinished cabinets. OneOne end the cabinets is all drawers, other end has one drawer with a cabinet underneath and then in the corner where they meet have a corner cabinet (no lazy susan) just a shelf in it.

My cutting table with either have shelves under it or be an old dresser. (we haven't gotten that far yet) :)
Be sure and post pic when you get it all set up please.

LaQuita please post pictures would love to see them.

gemladi 01-25-2014 06:00 AM

cutting table idea

My husband bought a hollow core door that was primed put a nice book shelf on each end it is just the perfect height for cutting. My neighbor liked mine so much she made one for herself.