Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing GO Dies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-go-dies-t286359.html)

Geri B 02-26-2017 04:53 AM

I have lots of dies.....so, first I printed out the current list of dies from accuquilt website..this is now 2 yrs ago, and checked off what I had. Then I went to goodwill, bought an entertainment center for $10, put an additional shelf where tv was......now three shelves on side, and two created in tv space. Since these dies are of different shapes, I sorted that way, tagged each shelf a,b,c, etc. I had already purchased over time various stackers to set them on edge...so I marked on the side of each die a, b, c, d and did the same on the "inventory sheet". Put them on their respective shelves and now when I need one, I check the inv. sheet to see what shelf...and there it is.... Oh, long dies sit on top of unit in a stacker too. This works well for me. GO itself lives in the bottom doored part along with some pattern books I've accumulated. Btw, I also have the Sizzix big shot with not as many dies.....and they "live" in this unit too.

QuiltingVagabond 02-26-2017 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7772828)
I have lots of dies.....so, first I printed out the current list of dies from accuquilt website..this is now 2 yrs ago, and checked off what I had. Then I went to goodwill, bought an entertainment center for $10, put an additional shelf where tv was......now three shelves on side, and two created in tv space. Since these dies are of different shapes, I sorted that way, tagged each shelf a,b,c, etc. I had already purchased over time various stackers to set them on edge...so I marked on the side of each die a, b, c, d and did the same on the "inventory sheet". Put them on their respective shelves and now when I need one, I check the inv. sheet to see what shelf...and there it is.... Oh, long dies sit on top of unit in a stacker too. This works well for me. GO itself lives in the bottom doored part along with some pattern books I've accumulated. Btw, I also have the Sizzix big shot with not as many dies.....and they "live" in this unit too.

Geri, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing - could you post a picture of your cabinet?

shasta5718 02-26-2017 07:41 AM

You can get lid racks at WalMart for just a few dollars each and they look a lot like the expensive ones from acuquilt. Work very well

quiltingcandy 02-26-2017 03:48 PM

I bought one rack from Accuquilt because they were on sale and I had points to use. I was concerned about the weight of the dies on a rack made for paper not being strong enough but after I got the one rack, it didn't seem any different than the one I had from my office, so I use both of them together. I have 2 strip dies and they fit in the back between the 2 and the other dies fit in front.

DonnaC 02-26-2017 04:05 PM

I second the request for a photo of Geri's system... sounds awesome! :)

redstilettos 02-28-2017 05:14 AM

Chimes in for the pic of Geri's system :)

yellowwroses 02-28-2017 07:09 AM

I have done it many ways on the side but found laeds rolling clothes basket that is as tall as dies and narrow. I write on the top edge what it is then place them in order. Easy to get 1 I want quickly. the baby ones are in a drawer and the others are sorted on a shelf.
Judy

yellowwroses 02-28-2017 07:11 AM

forgot to say these are in a tv cabnet too. most of the shelves are now filled. I also heve studio dies sorted the same way.

craftymatt2 03-20-2017 05:32 PM

i have the studio, ive had it for 1 1/2 years and still havent opened it, i cannot remember how many dies i purchased but i guess i better check this machine out and figure on what to do, thank you for all the tips

gale 03-21-2017 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have a GO but I do have a big shot pro plus some GO dies. I built this cart to hold my big shot pro on top and dies on the bottom. The top shelf has a tub with my smaller dies in it. The bigger dies go on the bottom.