Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Real success stories in organizing >

Real success stories in organizing

Real success stories in organizing

Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM

I saw Marie Kondo on tv. It may be a bit extreme for me, but I can try it to get a start.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:31 AM

When my kids were little we did the, "15 minute blitz." We put on some energizing music, set the timer on the microwave and scurried around the house cleaning things up as fast as we could. You would be amazed at how much better things looked after only 15 minutes. Plus, we had fun! The music really helped.

~ C
Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 AM

I have both of Marie Kondo's books and I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first one now. I find her methods very interesting, and the book was very thought-provoking for me. Before I had even bought the books, I was going through clothes which she pegs as the easiest thing to get rid of. My problem, especially since I've lost both my parents, is the sentimental items, which she saves for last. I actually have cleaned out some of their stuff since I've been reading the book. My mom was sentimental like me, but my dad was the opposite. I can almost hear his voice in my head saying, throw that damned thing out, you're never going to need it! LOL

Someone mentioned above that they dislike her method of folding clothes in drawers... personally, I love it! It has really changed my life for the better and it makes a lot of sense to me. Of course, I like to iron clothes, so I don't mind having to iron things when they come out of the drawer, which is necessary using her method.

I think the books are well worth reading even if you don't adopt everything she talks about. For example, I could never bring myself to throw out photographs. When I'm gone, someone in my family can do that if they wish, but my hands will never throw our family photos in the garbage. NEVER.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
For general de-cluttering I keep a cardboard box in the upstairs hallway and put things in it that I no longer need/want as I come across them. When the box gets full I take it to Goodwill. I end up making two or three trips to Goodwill each year using this method. It doesn't take the place of a full-scale decluttering, but I figure every little bit helps.

Rob
I do the same only its a shopping bag in the "junk room" which contains our car show stuff and extra dogs stuff plus the Christmas stuff. I did clean and organize said "junk room" and put up shelves for all the stuff. I did some quick searches and most found nothing showing how Marie thought rooms should look. The one I did find was singularly unimpressive. It's looked like a motel with a single bed and desk and one thing on the wall. Minimalist is not for me nor does is inspire anything in me except 'hang something personal on your walls so it doesn't look like a La Quinta'.

My husband I and are avid collectors, vintage signs, dachshund artwork (new and vintage) and vintage china abounds at our house. All is clean and neat but I don't do coffee tables containing on object or wall with nothing on them. I love my "stuff" and love it around me. I do get rid of the "stuff" but that's done on a regular basis. Whenever a charity contacts me to see if I have a bag for them I check. If there's a full bag, out it goes. I guess I'm just old fashioned and don't want to get onto the band wagon of decluttering (which appears to very lucrative if you look at all the places selling books and videos about it. Hmmm . . . that could be why it's being promoted so much)