Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Second sewing area? >

Second sewing area?

Second sewing area?

Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 AM

When looking for a new to me house here in Iowa, my top priority was an area for my sewing/quilting. Found one with what I thought would be large enough basement split into 2 rooms at the time. I had another doorway put in so I could walk thru from either end, added more lighting on the ceiling as there were only 2 windows for the whole basement and added lots more walk plug ins including one in the ceiling for the quilt/robotic system. It seems well lite to me now as I'm down here most of the time if not outside working in the garden which is just about done for the year. I have 2 - 8ft lights in the cutting area over the cutting table and 3 over the quilt/embroidery machines in the other room.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:54 AM

I have the full upstairs for my quilting, but sometimes I want to do some piecing in the main living area so that is when I bring my featherweight down and sew on the dining room table. Those featherweights are so portable and lightweight. My winter project is to sew all my 2 1/2 inch squares together and I want to do that in the main living area so I can have the TV on.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I think if that's what you want and can do it then go for it. For years in other house I had no good place to sew without disrupting a living space which I didn't like. This new house has a small bedroom that is all mine. I love it although it is small. But I can do most of what I want in it. I keep my minimal stash in the unfinished walkout basement on high shelves so I'm not surrounded by it. When I have a bigger quilt to do FMQ I use the dining room table but that is always a time limited project and doesn't bother me.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:17 AM

While a secondary location is certainly doable, I think another way to look at things would be to also make your primary sewing room a bit more inviting. If it is in your budget (and there are some very inexpensive ways to go here), and look at LED track lighting. The older I get the more I can appreciate a room that is 'as bright as the sun' as my hubby would say.

I, too, am building a sewing room down in the basement with few windows, and the "rule" for hubby is....there is no such thing as TOO MUCH LIGHT!

I am sure you will find the best solution to your lifestyle. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2016, 05:59 AM

My suggestion... DO NOT share your sewing space by putting a machine in the bedroom. Switch the bedroom to the basement and the sewing room up where its convenient. Bedrooms do not require as much light so that would not be a problem and you'd still have room for guests.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Not knowing if it's a finished basement or not. I would suggest painting the ceiling a gloss white - even if it's an unfinished open floor joist ceiling. I also would add track lighting in stragetic areas that could be turned in areas where your working. Also if you have a door leading outside or to a better lit area, I would consider adding a French door or a half-glass door.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:35 AM

I have had basement sewing rooms in some of my homes and converted bedrooms in some of my homes. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks. When we moved to our retirement "farm" this house had a big attached garage that we didn't need because it has a 4-car garage building very close. I love my garage studio. What I have found makes the biggest difference is lighting, electrical outlets, storage and lack of isolation (not in that order). I have a stereo/radio, TV and Roku to draw me in and keep me in my sewing room. I have never even thought of having 2 sewing rooms because I love having ALL my tools near me. You have to think carefully about the real reasons why you don't get down to your basement room. They may have a simple cure.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:01 PM

Any suggestions on how to keep all of my sewing "stuff" in our bedroom, since Daughter has moved back home with grand-daughter. And since they have been living with us for 20 months or so now, this seems to be an ongoing situation. I think that our grand-daughter is planning to live in a dorm after she finishes this quarter of college, but our grandson seems to be planning to move into his sisters room after she leaves for college. He is not real happy living with his dad.
I am hoping to start a quilt for him soon, but with the shortage of space in our bedroom, I will need all the help that I can get. All suggestions gladly accepted and all prayers, also.

jkretz
Old 10-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Blessings to you JKRETZ for providing a safe place to land for your daughter and her children. As my Mom always said "there's always room for family"! My only suggestion would be to get some of those Rubbermaid tubs and put stuff in there that you don't need to complete whatever project you are currently working on. But, keep all your sewing stuff together, even if it has to be stacked in those tubs. That way, you will at least know where to look for "sewing" stuff. Utilize underneath your beds with those flatter plastic bins. And, for now, keep your supplies and fabric stash to a minimum to cut down needed space. Enjoy those precious moments when you get a chance to sew and enjoy your family!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:23 PM

Thanks to everyone for their comments. My basement is finished, and the half I use for quilting is pretty well-lit with recessed lighting. It's the other half that I look into that is dark and I'm very sensitive to light, so even looking at a dark space even though the actual working space is well-lit is bothersome. Not sure if that makes much sense.

Anyway, I went to Joann's this weekend and bought a little sewing table, and I brought my serger and dress dummy up here as well. I also do fashion sewing so I'm thinking I can do the quilting down where I have a large flatbed table (that I made myself with a wooden Ikea table) and clothes up here, but keep the majority of the sewing stuff downstairs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560386[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2nd-sewing-area.jpg