Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best second Hand sewing machine to buy?

Blog Entries
    I am having no luck with my sewing machine. What would be the best second hand sewing machine to buy? I believe it should be more heavy duty to with stand a lot of quilting am I correct?

Blog Entries
    A vintage Singer 301 is pretty versital. It's light weight to take to class, and you can still FMQ with it.

What kind of sewing are you doing?

Blog Entries
    I will be sewing tops of quilts together. I would like to do the sewing appliques. I also will be sewing the finished quilt as well. Mending clothes, heming jeans. Sewing rag quilts including denim. I will be block pieceing and I also make purses. I need a machine very durable. Also where would be the best place to get one?

If you are looking for a good machine Juki would be my choice. A new one is less then a 1000. and they are work horses. I am getting one as soon as I finish paying for my most wonderful worthless Bernina. I am getting the tailoring machine which is about 1400.00 those prices are for new machines. A used one should be much less. I recommend Ralph's Industrial sewing out of Denver. Of course there is shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by owlvamp
    I will be sewing tops of quilts together. I would like to do the sewing appliques. I also will be sewing the finished quilt as well. Mending clothes, heming jeans. Sewing rag quilts including denim. I will be block pieceing and I also make purses. I need a machine very durable. Also where would be the best place to get one?

Blog Entries
    Is there a web site for me to go look at that you know of?

Here is the link
    http://www.powersew.com/

Quote Originally Posted by owlvamp
    Is there a web site for me to go look at that you know of?
    is this the right site?

[quote=Grandma58]If you are looking for a good machine Juki would be my choice. A new one is less then a 1000. and they are work horses. I am getting one as soon as I finish paying for my most wonderful worthless Bernina. I am getting the tailoring machine which is about 1400.00 those prices are for new machines. A used one should be much less. I recommend Ralph's Industrial sewing out of Denver. Of course there is shipping.

Just curious.....what's up with your Bernina?

I love my Bernina all three of them but they are for fun sewing not real sewing. Or maybe I should say they are fine for light weight cotton, but not bags and wool coats or anything with substance. I use them a lot and I do have 3. One is usually in the shop, sometimes a problem and sometimes just it's annual check up . One I use exclusively for needle felting. Over the last couple of years I have found I am sewing more heavy duty stuff and Bernina's are not built for it. I also have my grandmothers old machine from the 50's, that thing could sew through everything, it is a work horse.

[quote=NancyG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma58
    If you are looking for a good machine Juki would be my choice. A new one is less then a 1000. and they are work horses. I am getting one as soon as I finish paying for my most wonderful worthless Bernina. I am getting the tailoring machine which is about 1400.00 those prices are for new machines. A used one should be much less. I recommend Ralph's Industrial sewing out of Denver. Of course there is shipping.

Just curious.....what's up with your Bernina?

I have a Pfaff and I love it. I had a 1222E (e means electronic) and it was the best!! I could sew thru 11 thickness of denim and then go to lace and not have to change the tension. I now have a 7570 and I love it. I think you best bet is to buy an older model of the best you could afford.

Power Poster
    Maybe she was looking for a recommendation in the $25 - to $150 range - perhaps suggestions for some of the better black or tan Singers - or other good models from 1960 or sooner?

I have been a Singer girl since I was a kid. They are workhorses. If you do not want a vintage machine, I would choose either a classroom model, or heavy duty one. These new plastic machines just do not look very durable.
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

I like old Singers, wouldn't touch new ones. I have one that is from the 50s or 60s - just straight stitch and zig zag stitch. It is wonderful!!

Although - I saw the Juki at a show and while totally tempted - I could put in new kitchen counters (tiny kitchen) for the price of one...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

For second hand machines you have the option of going to a sewing machine retailer that sells trade ins.

If you want an inexpensive limited number of stitches to do the heavy work you suggested, I would recommend that you get a mid century machine (prior to electronics). People rave about Singer 15s do do free motion quilting. You could buy a Singer or they were manufactured in Japan from the same design and sold under many names. If you get a picture of one, you can just compare them.

I would shop your local craig's list online, local resale stores such as Goodwill or Salvation Army. There are lots of them out there so you shouldn't have to pay and arm and a leg.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    any machine which has a nice even straight stitch- that is in your budget & you like. my favorite machine (best $20 i ever spent) for piecing is my 1956 singer 99-K ; i quilt small projects with it- (i have a long-arm so don't need it for large projects) it is heavy duty- easy to maintain- and i love it-
    but my mom---hates my little machine & swears by her industrial Necci (which she picked up at some sale where they were selling off machines that were at one time used in schools)
    i spent 3 years looking for a second-hand, back-up machine- and was so happy to find the one i did- but what is right for me may not be your *cup of tea*
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Sounds like you need a vintage Singer, say a 201, "the best machine Singer ever made", or maybe a 15 which are known to be FMQ friendly. If you want decorative stitches too, a Viking 6000 series will give you those. They are a joy to use but often need to be rebuilt if they haven't been used regularly. I would put the word out at my nearest SM dealer because they take in all kinds of machines on trade, and also talk to your SMG about what you want. They often can find what you need. Personally, I much more faith in the mechanical machines of the 50s, 60s, and 70s than those of recent vintage. Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Dorothy in PA

A 301 or a 301A are great machines. They purr quietly while you work and I have made 8 quilts on them over the past year (just started quilting last year) and they are easy to take care of. I got 301 at a local garage sale and the 301A on ebay. Paid $20.00 for the 301 and $129.00 for the 301A. I also have a featherweight and she is nice also.
    Busy in Ohio