Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart vs Dollar General foamcore boards

Do you all know the plastic corrugated boards that people put on those wire (stick in the ground) stands? Around here, some folks advertise their yard sales on them or if they are running for local office, they are pre-printed. I collect them when elections/yard sales are done and cut them into boards, 6 x 9, to wrap all my fabric. I've got quite a stash of them waiting for my fabric stash to catch up!! Cost? ZERO!!

Quote Originally Posted by CecInNebraska View Post
    OK, I have been "on the outside looking in" at this board for a long time. Yes, I am addicted to it! I have learned a lot and cont. to learn lots. This is my first post. I can not find these foam core boards at my Dollar General. I looked on their website also and could not find them.
    You want Dollar Tree, not General....

Question

Are the foamcore boards better than comic book boards? I can get comic book boards at the local comic book store for 7.95 per 100 count. No cutting needed. With tax added, they are ~8.5 cents each. They are acid free and a perfect fit in the cube unit I found at Goodwill for 9.50. I am just getting started putting my fabric on boards and really like how much easier it stores and I can see what it have easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I made my own fat quarter storage bins with 1 trifold foam core board. I cut the 12" sides through the back paper layer and foam leaving the front "paper" in tact, making 2- 6" wide folding pieces, then cut 6" over from the fold of the center through completely. That left me 3 sides, folded up to make a box. Repeat on the other side to make a 2nd one. I used the left over 12" from the center piece, cut into 6 x 6" squares to make the top & bottom ends, and a couple "Shelves". Hot melt glued them in place and I was pleasantly surprised how strong they actually are!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    You want Dollar Tree, not General....
    Dollar General is where I found the foam boards. My Dollar Tree didn't have any. Check both.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrose View Post
    Are the foamcore boards better than comic book boards? I can get comic book boards at the local comic book store for 7.95 per 100 count. No cutting needed. With tax added, they are ~8.5 cents each. They are acid free and a perfect fit in the cube unit I found at Goodwill for 9.50. I am just getting started putting my fabric on boards and really like how much easier it stores and I can see what it have easily.
    There isn't a comic book store within a hundred miles or more of here. The foam boards are probably a lot stiffer than comic boards though.

I am doing a project for the 4th for my grand-daughter, I found the foam core boards at The Dollar Tree for a buck a piece, so you might try there and it cuts great with an Exacto knife!

I bought mine a the Dollar tree store. Can't beat them for a buck

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks ScissprQueen! You have been very helpful.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Somebody who moved to my town started this huge campaign to keep Dollar General out of town. There is one about 11 miles away, but this guy and his cohorts are making sound as though the company is Satan himself. You've given a good reason to have one nearby ! http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/14/us...ents.html?_r=1
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast