Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Walmart vs Dollar General foamcore boards

Quote Originally Posted by kyrose View Post
    Are the foamcore boards better than comic book boards? I can get comic book boards at the local comic book store for 7.95 per 100 count. No cutting needed. With tax added, they are ~8.5 cents each. They are acid free and a perfect fit in the cube unit I found at Goodwill for 9.50. I am just getting started putting my fabric on boards and really like how much easier it stores and I can see what it have easily.
    There isn't a comic book store within a hundred miles or more of here. The foam boards are probably a lot stiffer than comic boards though.

I am doing a project for the 4th for my grand-daughter, I found the foam core boards at The Dollar Tree for a buck a piece, so you might try there and it cuts great with an Exacto knife!

I bought mine a the Dollar tree store. Can't beat them for a buck

Blog Entries
    Thanks ScissprQueen! You have been very helpful.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Somebody who moved to my town started this huge campaign to keep Dollar General out of town. There is one about 11 miles away, but this guy and his cohorts are making sound as though the company is Satan himself. You've given a good reason to have one nearby ! http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/14/us...ents.html?_r=1
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

My Dollar Tree doesn't always have them. But you're right they cut great!!
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Blog Entries
    I used the large rectangle Wilton Cake boards. I got three boards from each rectangle and there are three rectangles in the package. They are non toxic for food so I figure they are fine for fabric to be wrapped around it. I kept buying all Walmart had every time I shopped there. I don't use any clips or pins to hold the fabric, it stays in place when put between other boards on the shelf.
    Got fabric?

I've had most of my fabric on the foam-core boards from DG. I bought it about a year ago and cut it as I needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I figured I would need over 1,000 boards, and would LOSE space, so gave up the idea of doing this...will try the ruler folding instead!
    I also found I was losing space doing this so I've gone to folding for most of my fabrics. Larger quantities (2 yards or more) it makes sense to use the boards with my shelves. I fold my pieces so that they take up the whole depth of the shelf and that's also a space saver.

I'm almost done organizing and was able to "edit" out quite a few fabrics that I know I won't use. My local quilting buddies are getting first crack at those. As I find my quilting style (I've been at this for about five years now) I find more "what was I thinking" fabrics. I'm tempted to hold on to them, but I'm being firm with myself. If I haven't used them in four years, it's time to let go!

Happy organizing!

I used foam board from Wal Mart. I cut them with an exacto knife. They didn't cut well, but I didn't care. They were covered with fabric anyway. I use straight pens to secure the fabric.

Hooray for Dollar Tree!

I understand the foam core or snagging the cardboard from Joann's ( I do that for macrame) but what is "ruler fold" Right now I have the majority of my fabrics folded and stored in bins. We had to rebuild the room where I sew due to hurricane roof/water damage last summer. I did really well sorting until it came down to "I'm tired of this" attitude and just said "oh this is close" to blue/pink/reds whatever. Since all the fabrics are stacked, it's really hard to see what's in the bin. Perhaps if I took it out and refolded it around something and put it back in rows?? Thanks for any info. Retta

I just can't get myself to spend dollars on boards when I would rather buy fabric. I have used the comic book board inserts and they have been fantastics. Cheap, thin, and lightweight. Once the fabric gets all shoved onto the bookshelf it works great.
    Bernina 440QE
    Bernina 1150 serger
    Janome 1000CPX coverstitch

Hi, I went to dollartree.com and checked out the foam boards...If you can afford the $50 for a case of 50 ...order them online and they will ship for free to the store for pick up...

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I really needed more fabric organizer boards so I decided to try the foamcore and cut them myself. I bought one of the foamcore boards from Walmart and it was hard to cut and didn't cut very cleanly. I was going to go ahead and get a couple more but they only had one more.

So on my way home I stopped at Dollar General and they had some. The paper on the outside is more like paper instead of like poster board and they're lighter in weight than the Walmart boards. They cut beautifully with one pass of the rotary cutter!!! Plus they're half the price of the Walmart foamcore! I can cut five 8.5 X 11 inch fabric organizers from one sheet of foamcore.

I use the jumbo vinyl coated paper clips to secure the fabric and Walmart didn't have any of them. But Dollar Tree did and at DT they're only a dollar per package. I even found a cute box to keep them in.
    I had used the foam boards for a while. I tried different ones (thicknesses). I found that you can not get a clean cut if the foam boards are too thick. I go to Hobby Lobby and they have a foam board that is around 1/8 inch thick. Then I use a rotary cutter designated for paper to cut it.

Thanks for the info. Might just go and try it myself!
    Country 1

The foam boards by Reddi? something from Dollar Tree are acid free and very easy to cut....

I use plastic corrgated boards that folks use as signs slid on those metal wire holders (that you push in the ground) I recycle the metal, but cut up the plastic corrugated board into 6 by 9 inch pieces. The price is right! And there seems to be a never-ending supply as folks use them as yard sale signs (they NEVER go back to pick them up after the sale is over)!

DebbieC. what about the written messaging on the plastic board...do you remove it?? does it come off easily if you do?

I have bought the ones at Wal-Mart now I will have to try the ones at the Dollar Tree and the other dollar stores.
    thanks for the info I am in the process of doing the same with my fabric and getting my sewing area up and running. Last year my husband passed away and now I have the whole basement to set up all my sewing crafts etc. The room he had down there, I am making into a guest room but I will still be able to store some of my fabric on the 4 book shelves he had. I am more than a little excited. It is a big basement that is completely finished complete with carpeting. Thanks again for the update on the foam core boards.
    Pat
    Patsy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2