Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Your Fave Way to Organize >

Your Fave Way to Organize

Your Fave Way to Organize

Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM

I have a cabinet that dh suggested we buy (matches our tv stand/cabinet) for my fabric. I thought about using those comic book boards. However, decided I'd rather the space be taken up by material than boards. I have fat quarters and 2 1/2" strips on the top shelf, material on it's side (looks like a lot of books standing up) on the second shelf (like colors together). Good luck with your storage dilemma.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:12 PM

All my quilting fabric is ruler folded and put into drawers, according to background colors. Fabric is on edge in the drawer, this way I can see what is exactly in the drawer, without messing the remaining fabrics up. Thread is sorted into small plastic totes, according to color or colors, like white and off white, brown and beige, etc.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Since I am in a one bedroom apartment, I have to make the most out of my space. I bought a flat board from Ikea, and the legs that screw on. I have my laptop on the top, and a ironing board that is to the right. I have my thread in a plastic container, and tools in containers. I have fabric in labeled clear sweater containers under the desk, next to the dog house. to the left, I have more containers .. I like being surrounded by the colors, and am forced to keep things in order, as it is all in my living room.. I have shelves attached to the wall above the desk that I have containers, or books that I use. I am missing a design wall.. I tried to lay out an additions quilt, and the dog thought I was invading his space. He brought his chew over, and started rolling all over it.. Ughhh
Old 09-02-2013, 07:20 PM

One thing I have done is to buy swimming noodles. I roll my pellons, insul-brite and the like on them, then use straight pins to keep in place. Makes it so much easier to keep them contained. I also, have a shoe rack (the one with little squares) & i keep my FQ's & 1/2 yard pieces it it. Just the right size to hold several of each. I also, keep all my yardage in cabinets with doors. You will find lot's of good ideas on here.
Good luck & have fun growing your stash.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
We bought 6 unfinished kitchen cabinets and stacked them3 high. They are obviously not finished ,yet (nor is the floor)
I think we're just going to go all the way to the ceiling with oak
It's in a spot of the house where 'something' was needed - what could be better than fabric storage?
Wonderful Idea.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 AM

RugosaB....I wholeheartedly agree with the comments directed at you as well...an amazing idea...and odd cabinets or discontinued models would not be too expensive. I HAD TO LAUGH AT YOUR LAST LINE....and nope...I don't know that "feeling" either....lol
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
RugosaB, your six sets of upper cabinets stacked three high is one of the very best options for storage, IMHO. It will provide accessibility without lifting heavy totes, protection against light and dust damage, neatness for storage, and flexibility for storage methods. Congrats! In fact, I wish that I had done this a dozen years ago when we were remodeling our home. I hadn't been sewing that much at the time and didn't even consider having my own sewing area. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb on my part....
I must admit this is the NEAT area of storage. My two boys moved out in Dec '12, and the oldest, who bought a house, said it's big enough that his gold clubs can have their own room.
I told him, "Well now, my fabric gets its own room!"
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM

I absolutely love that wall of stacked upper cabinets!

I have a lot of closet space in my laundry room so I put shelving units in there to store fabric. I used to sew in the adjoining storage closet when we moved into this house 12 years ago. Since then I've moved to a combination quilting room/guest room and a few months ago into a dedicated room but I'm leaving my stash in the laundry room because it works so well for me.

I do have one dresser in my quilting room where I store my "rainbow" stash by color on comic boards. I don't like to have too much fabric in view as I find it distracting, but I sure do love pulling open those drawers!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM

I have an old metal filing cabinet with drop down doors that is almost as tall as the ceiling. I have used this cabinet for various storage thru out the years. Its ugly, big and heavy to move. Didnt want to throw it out yet, so i just covered it with some wood grain contact paper and am using that to store my fabrics, boxes of scraps, sewing items threads etc. I dont have a closet in this room which was the orignal living room at one time. Now it is my girlie cave with some storage. It works .
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM

I have a wardrobe cubbard that I keep most of my stash in I put dividers that I cut from cardboard to seperate the fabrics and I have some in tubs on the bottom shelf. I have scraps in tubs on another shelf. I have flannels and batting on top of the wardrobe. It is a very small room and it is full