Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Fabric Depot in Portland, Ore.. >

Fabric Depot in Portland, Ore..

Fabric Depot in Portland, Ore..

Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Even though I can't buy anything , I just was wondering if anyone in the Portland, Oregon area has been to the Fabric Depot, and knows anything about their prices of fabric? I will be in that area in a few days to help make my moms holiday easier ( we lost my step dad 2 months ago ), so I was hoping to finally go to the FD and see what all the hype is about that huge store... Anyone know anything about it? is it as awesome as I have heard, or is that a little hyped up?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Never been there but hear it is awesome.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

It is indeed an awesome store, with frequent sales. I especially like their outdoor sale, all summer, with huge discounts. The regular prices are generally lower than quilt stores. The selection is fabulous. Have fun when you go there.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM

:) might be good to just dream of all the eye candy I see then.. wish I had a hundred bucks to spend, and then wondering if I would even live thru the choosing process..
Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 PM

Dunster, thanks for letting me know.. I heard their summer sale was good, too.. I just dont get over to that part of the state very often, and certainly not in winter.. Cabbage Hill is UGLY usually in the winter months... right now, its not to bad, though snow is on the roads, and its icy, and such.. But , we have all that here in my town, so I am used to it at the moment...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

It is a GREAT place to shop :D:D:D
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM

I have ordered online and LOVE their fabric!! I am so jealous I have been wanting to go. In May one of the local sewing stores is going to portland by bus I cannot wait!! Have fun!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 PM

I've been there. Well worth the trip. All I can say is take money. You start with a cart--a large cart. And then you fill it and get another cart. And that's before you even look at patterns, tools and such. I'd go back in a heart beat. Have fun!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
Even though I can't buy anything , I just was wondering if anyone in the Portland, Oregon area has been to the Fabric Depot, and knows anything about their prices of fabric? I will be in that area in a few days to help make my moms holiday easier ( we lost my step dad 2 months ago ), so I was hoping to finally go to the FD and see what all the hype is about that huge store... Anyone know anything about it? is it as awesome as I have heard, or is that a little hyped up?
I was just there on Sunday afternoon. I go there at least twice a month. Their prices are pretty comparable to any other really good quilt shop, maybe better. They have an incredible collection of fabrics. Whatever you fancy, I am sure you'd find it there.

They have a lot of sales - 20/30/35/40 percent offs everything and that can mean notions as well. They also have a terrific notions department and pattern dept. They sell all the new cuts of fabric like charms, layer cakes, etc., and they have a pretty good selection of these as well.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you decide to spend a few hours there. It's a pretty big store and they have a tremendous selection. I hope you do go there, you'll enjoy yourself.

I forgot to add, I've ordered from them via phone and I internet. They have good service. I've ordered bolts of fabric to make flannel blankets for the children's hospital here. I got forty percent off the bolt price. ANd the quality was first rate.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 AM

It's a great store. First time I went I was so overwhelmed because of all the fabric they had. I love shopping their remnants and usually get a good price on their batiks. The patterns and notions are great. Also a good Home Dec area if your doing that kind of project. I would plan to spend some time there. I go everytime I visit my Sister in the area.