Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
GA Quilters- Aussie  without a car looking for Atlanta Fabric Stores >

GA Quilters- Aussie without a car looking for Atlanta Fabric Stores

GA Quilters- Aussie without a car looking for Atlanta Fabric Stores

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Hello all you GA quilters. I might have the possibility of attending a conference in Atlanta in 2011. As I'm still thinking about asking my employer about going I thought I'd put out a call for some early advice.

I would like to know if there are any quilt or fabric stores or Walmarts with fabric that I can get to using buses or trains from downtown. I'm assuming the conference will be held at a downtown hotel, but don't yet have venue details. I'm not likely to rent a car as the idea of driving in the US scares me more than you can imagine.

I did a search and it looks like there's a Hancocks that I could walk to from the Lindbergh Centre. Is that correct? I'm fit enough that a 30 minute walk is no problem, even if I'm carrying shopping bags :-)

Also, if there are any no-go areas that I should avoid for personal safety reasons please let me know. My Aussie friend and I made a mistake on a visit to Chicago once and got off the train in a very scary neighbourhood. We didn't come to any harm but we knew we were a long way from home at that moment.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you are able to share.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Google Goddess

maybe you can meet up with some quilt board members when you are here so they can take you to the quilt and fabric stores in the area

I'm sure you can find some members that would be happy to show you the town for fabric stores

do you know the dates yet that you will be traveling here
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM

I don't know the Atlanta area at all, but your mentioning your scare in Chicago reminds me when my DH and I travel to unknown places. We frequently end up in these types of neighborhoods and I just tell him he is 'taking me through the best part of town'! We are in a car thankfully and not on foot as you must have been.

I hope some QB member will jump in and take you around. I would gladly assist you if you were ever to come to Phoenix, AZ area.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks Sharon and Karen. I didn't post this looking for a tour, honest.

I've never been anywhere even near Atlanta before which is why I'm asking for info. I'm always happy to get around on trains and buses but I do like to know where I'm going.

If the trip happens it will be in June.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 AM

Maybe you can meet some Ga.Quilt Council members on this site. They are the nicest people you would ever want to meet and would probably take you under their wing, show you around and all kinds of other good things when you get here. Even if you don't get to the conference you will enjoy "talking quilt" online with them.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 AM

You are right, the Hancocks near the Lindbergh train stop is a decent walk but you should be fine. Atlanta in June is very, very hot and humid so if you aren't used to that, be sure you carry and/or buy water! A lot of it!

You MUST make it to Intown Quilters, my LQS. It's on a bus route, right by North DeKalb Mall. Skip the mall, it's full of loud teenagers, but the quilt shop is on one of the streets between North Druid Hills Road and the mall.

Feel free to PM me with more questions! I live nearby! :)
Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 AM

I'll be delighted to meet up with you for lunch! PM me with the details.....
Old 10-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Hello Aussie I use to live in the Gainesville area which is north of Atlanta and also I use to drive truck for a living . Yes there are some crazy drivers down there sometime I think they're worse than Calif. LOL but there is a quilt site on the internet and she might know of someone who might be able and interested in helping you. It is Pam Bono Quilting she has a shop there and there are some quilt guilds to that might be able to help. You maybe could look up on the internet Ga. quilt shops and guilds. I hope this might be of some help. Oh and Yes there are alot of places that you Have to be careful of it's a big city just like any other ones. Have a good time and enjoy the sights. :D
Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 AM

send me a private message, I will give you my email-I would be happy to take you around to different quilt stores-it would be great to meeet someone from Australia-Kathy
PS-I am retired now-any excuse to visit a quilt shop :)
Old 10-10-2010, 12:32 PM

PM me I live south of Atl but used to work downtown I would love any excuse to go to lqs. Welcome South