Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 scrappy quilts, same design, different color schemes

3 scrappy quilts, same design, different color schemes

In January, 2011, I began my quest to control scraps. I had bags of them sitting around--a lot of the bags were full of leftover backing trimmings, cotton clothing, etc. I was sick of it, so I spent a lot of time just cutting it all up--mostly strips of 1.5", 2" and 2.5" along with a bunch of squares. However, I enjoy sewing, and so inbetween all the cutting, which can get old at times, I began to do some mindless sewing. I saw someone here make a simple strippy quilt using 1.5" strips and using red as their contrast color.

So, I decided to do something similar. I did a red one, then a black one, then a yellow one. They were easy and fun and used up a lot of 1.5" strips. Wow. I got my 120 liter trash bag over half empty....

But, they were only tops. I've embarked on my quest to actually finish my quilt tops this year--either by tying or learning to FMQ or something else.

I finished the yellow one first by a fancy decorative stitch using white thread on the yellow borders. The red and black ones are FMQ--which for me is a learning curve. In the end, I like them all. I used poly batting and finished the borders this past week during the Olympics.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Blog Entries
    Wow, very nice use of your scraps, they are all awesome!

Wow! That's a lot of scraps. Great quilts.

Wow, that was a lot of work...I have tons of scraps, too...thanks for the idea. Love the yellow one best!

lue
    I'm in awe! What a great use of your scraps! I've undertaken a similar project this summer and I'm making a little headway (got the strips organized by color scheme and began one quilt using the scraps) but nothing like this! They are beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Well I recently finished one to the floor top with over 6000 pieces, squares, and still have a lot cut left over so am thinking about doing a shower curtain and a valance for BR. Who knows anymore left I will try a throwrug.
    This week I embarked cutting strips and have set aside pieces for various size squares. I was thinking of combining 9 patch with strips. I really like what you have done and appreciate seeing the finished products.

Blog Entries
    I love your quilts! But, don't you find that the more scraps you use the more they grow! I am finally working on a scrappy string quilt and my DH already wants it! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
    Judith

Blog Entries
    Love them all! Scrappy is my favorite and these are the best!! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jtquilts View Post
    I love your quilts! But, don't you find that the more scraps you use the more they grow! I am finally working on a scrappy string quilt and my DH already wants it! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
    Well, yes, it isn't like I'm down to "no scraps". Sigh. All that happens is that I start making new bags of them--til I get them all cut up and then I'll have another 120 liter (30 gallon) trash bag full of strips again....

Wow you sure had a boat load of scraps!! Lots of work!! Beautiful
    Grama Laura

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast