In January, 2011, I began my quest to control scraps. I had bags of them sitting around--a lot of the bags were full of leftover backing trimmings, cotton clothing, etc. I was sick of it, so I spent a lot of time just cutting it all up--mostly strips of 1.5", 2" and 2.5" along with a bunch of squares. However, I enjoy sewing, and so inbetween all the cutting, which can get old at times, I began to do some mindless sewing. I saw someone here make a simple strippy quilt using 1.5" strips and using red as their contrast color.
So, I decided to do something similar. I did a red one, then a black one, then a yellow one. They were easy and fun and used up a lot of 1.5" strips. Wow. I got my 120 liter trash bag over half empty....
But, they were only tops. I've embarked on my quest to actually finish my quilt tops this year--either by tying or learning to FMQ or something else.
I finished the yellow one first by a fancy decorative stitch using white thread on the yellow borders. The red and black ones are FMQ--which for me is a learning curve. In the end, I like them all. I used poly batting and finished the borders this past week during the Olympics.