Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Adoption complete - New mommy needs help :) >

Adoption complete - New mommy needs help :)

Adoption complete - New mommy needs help :)

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Hi All,

I have adopted a Brother PE-180D (D=Disney or discontinued or both, actually) - my very first, gently used, embroidery machine. For a very low price, I thought I would start up a new addiction!!! So far I have only purchased 2 spools of thread and have been too intimidated to even turn this baby on. But she does have a name - Tink (short for Tinkerbell). I have also downloaded a few patterns I would like to do, but am clueless how to get these designs into the machine. There is a spot on the side for a memory card, so I guess that would be the way. However, the manual is a bit lacking, or maybe it's just me that is not understanding it. Note: I never met the owner. This was passed onto a mutual friend to deliver. So, I only talked to the owner on the phone and she told me I need to buy a card reader. I guess I'll be calling a local sewing machine dealer sooner or later, but I hoped someone out there might also own one of these and would be kind enough to share any knowledge I might need. Thanks to all for looking and reading.

New Addition to My Sewing Room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158919[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158914.jpe  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 PM

congrats!! you will have so much fun! :thumbup:
Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM

you can pick up a card reader pretty much anywhere that sells cameras or computer supplies. It may be helpful to go onto youtube to see if there are any videos on using your new baby. I've never used an embroidery machine - I think it would be wonderful to have one :)
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Congrats! I have a Brother Ult2002D and I need a card reader, Ped Basic. This is the one I have. Not sure if all the Brothers use the same reader. You might want to call a dealer to find out.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PED-Ba...7899431&sr=8-1

You load the designs on to your computer, then on to the card and insert it in the machine.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM

I have this machine and i love. yes you will need a card to go into the slot. you can buy the cards with the designs or get a card box, name's are amazing box which i have and lost my thought and the other name. the way to go is getting the box. it comes with a card but you can get more for about 60.00. they are re-usable. i have thousands of designs free from the internet. hope this helps. if you would like pm me and i will give you a few of the sites.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Congratulations! I have a Janome embroidery machine and I love it. You'll find embroidery as addicting as quilting. Hopefully someone here has the machine and can offer more help.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight
I have this machine and i love. yes you will need a card to go into the slot. you can buy the cards with the designs or get a card box, name's are amazing box which i have and lost my thought and the other name. the way to go is getting the box. it comes with a card but you can get more for about 60.00. they are re-usable. i have thousands of designs free from the internet. hope this helps. if you would like pm me and i will give you a few of the sites.
Hi Eva,

Thanks for your feedback. LOL. I have already found places to download lovely designs for free and have done so, too.. I figured out I needed the PES extention and went to town. Now to get a reader and a card so I can transfer them. After I wrote the original post, I started research and have bid on an Ebay PED Basic box/card. Glad to hear you love this machine. I was concerned that I might not be happy since it was discontinued. You have reassured me otherwise. But I doubt I'll want to stop at the limit of 4.5 x 4.5 sizes sooner or later.

Take care,
Sharon
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lovestosew
Congrats! I have a Brother Ult2002D and I need a card reader, Ped Basic. This is the one I have. Not sure if all the Brothers use the same reader. You might want to call a dealer to find out.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PED-Ba...7899431&sr=8-1

You load the designs on to your computer, then on to the card and insert it in the machine.
Much appreciation for your help. It's pretty much what I expected to hear, but was hoping a generic card reader would suffice. Guess not, since it appears to need special software and size of card. I have the link you sent already in "My Favorites". Thanks again. Sharon
Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM

i also have a brother pacesetter8200 with 5x7 and the 4x4. now thinking of getting one with a bigger emb. field. my sister also has the 150 and loves it.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 PM

I have a brother SE350 and bought the PED basic I can download all the freebies off the net and just love mu machine! I got mine at Amazon was about $112.00 but Worth every penny!