Ok, I got this monster of a top finished. Now that it is done, I think it is REALLY busy. But it is kind of growing on me. And, I think my son will like it.
It did take me several weeks (I'm still working full time) to finish the top. It was much more tedious than I expected.
This is my second quilt, and it is better quality-wise than the first one, but not every seam and point meet perfectly in this one, either. Looking it over, it did have more matching points than I expected that it would. When I began, I made myself promise that I wouldn't rip just because a point didn't match, sorry, all you perfectionists out there. That just wasn't the goal of this quilt for me. Too bad I ended up having to rip anyway, because I sewed a big section together incorrectly!
This pattern is fun. I think the reason why mine feels so much "busier" than the pattern picture is that, of course, I used prints and not just solids for the quilt.
That Texas A&M block in the center really caused some problems. I wanted to include it (he graduated from there), and I wanted the whole thing, but the printed square was slightly bigger than the blocks I was making. So I ended up having to "ease" it in. Now it looks a little lumpy there.
The big red block in the center is a scrap I found with an old fashioned barnstorming scene drawn in it, but you probably can't see the drawing on the red background in the pic, sorry.