Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Airplane Quilt WIP

Ok, here's what I have been working on. Just piecing together the top right now.

This quilt is going to be really busy. But, it is for a guy, so I think he'll like it.

But it is taking me a long time to piece together. I think it is because each block is so different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking great. I may have to try that pattern. DH was a pilot, as well as his dad. I think I would need to get myself a design wall, like you do, before I attempt it.

You really do need a design wall. I tried working on the top without it, but gave up. I found a couple of sheets of that pink insulation foam board and covered it with cheap felt. However, when my dog, Buddy, walked by, he kept rubbing the fabric blocks off. So, I went to just stabbing straight pins into the corners of the blocks to hold them on. It works, but not perfectly. And it is a little more of a hassle than just having them stick to the felt.

Once I could see what was happening, it was much easier.

I love your planes quilt. It is really busy, huh? You would be hard pressed to keep it all straight without the design wall.
    I have the stuff for a design wall but it has stayed in the corner waiting for me. No time yet this year to put it up.

Blog Entries
    I love It!!! I don't think it is busy, it is interesting with all of the different blocks :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    WOW!! :D Your quilt is wonderful.
    I am sure that it is going to be loved
    a lot. Keep us posted, as you make
    more progress on it.
    :D :D :D :D :D

That's a fantastic design, I love it! Well done! :-)

Can't wait to see it done ;-)

Looks like a great plan so far! I made an airplane quilt for grandson #2 a couple of years ago, in blue red and white! Can't wait to see it finished!

Ninnie

Great quilt, keep us posted on your progress.

Cute

Wow -- that quilt is going to be awesome when you're done.

Love your design wall!

Banned
    looks awesome..... :D

Quote Originally Posted by motomom
    You really do need a design wall. I tried working on the top without it, but gave up. I found a couple of sheets of that pink insulation foam board and covered it with cheap felt. However, when my dog, Buddy, walked by, he kept rubbing the fabric blocks off. So, I went to just stabbing straight pins into the corners of the blocks to hold them on. It works, but not perfectly. And it is a little more of a hassle than just having them stick to the felt.

Once I could see what was happening, it was much easier.
    I really do need one of those design walls, but I have no place to keep it up and no place to store it. When I made the last t-shirt quilt, I had to use our bed to lay everything on. At night I had to pick it up and start again the next morning. Finally I laid a sheet over the bed then at night I rolled everything in the sheet. Much better that way. In the morning, I just unrolled the sheet and everything was pretty much in place.

Does yours fold? Where do you store it when it isn't in use? By the way, I love the airplanes. I've been wanting to make one for my godchild who went from pilot (Air Force) to priest. Now my wheels are really turning. Thanks. Can't wait to see your work all completed. :thumbup:

Izy
    Oh this is my kinda quilt, LOVE it, the busier the better, it is going to be a stunner when it's finished..GREAT job!! post more pictures soon, so I can see your progress pleeeeeeze!! :lol: :D

I've been wanting to make one for my godchild who went from pilot (Air Force) to priest.

Gail, my DH went from Pilot (in Navy) to pastor!!!

an action quilt, they really look like they are flying. Yes, I would say he is gonna like it, and it does look like a bit of work! good for you, motomom :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I've been wanting to make one for my godchild who went from pilot (Air Force) to priest.

Gail, my DH went from Pilot (in Navy) to pastor!!!
    Isn't it amazing how much we quilters have in common. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by GailG

Does yours fold? Where do you store it when it isn't in use? By the way, I love the airplanes. I've been wanting to make one for my godchild who went from pilot (Air Force) to priest. Now my wheels are really turning. Thanks. Can't wait to see your work all completed. :thumbup:
    No, unfortunately, it doesn't fold. And, it takes up a whole wall of my very small apartment.

It is just 2 big 4x8 sheets of pink foam insulation. I had to make do.